Playing the course, tactics, and common sense

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well after discarding my driver for yesterdays round I suddenly found 16 fairways, the other two, one went left the other right so I am very happy that they were just poor contacts or lack of concentration. Anyway, having never walked down the centre of so many fairways I was in unfamiliar territory, able to cut corners, and had many more options to me on how to play shots. Most of my higher scores can be traced back to the wrong decision at a certain shot, either taking a silly risk or playing too safe, (plus my putting was awful). Are there any books or dvds on assessing shots risk or is it just experience that cannot be taught? Any help gratefully received.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Aside from really obvious choices (170 over water or lay up etc) it's difficult to teach and I doubt there's any good specific instruction out there. Everyone is different and a gamble for me will not be the same for you or the next guy. It's all subjective and dependant on your own ability and consistency under pressure. It's the old saying "you learn from your mistakes" really so be willing to try different approaches when you find trouble regularly playing a particular shot. I'd say the most common single fault high handicappers have tee to green is to take too much club out of the rough and either duffing it or getting in more trouble.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well after discarding my driver for yesterdays round I suddenly found 16 fairways, the other two, one went left the other right

Do you not have par 3s at yours? :)

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
Experience and common sense certainly help, but as has been said some will take the gamble when others will play safe - it may also depend on how you are swinging on that particular day. I still find myself attempting the occassional 'Hollywood' shot when I know deep down that in all likeness my ball will (a) hit a tree and come back at me at life threating speed (b) get nowhere near carrying the water and end up plopping in or (c) bobble 10 yards or so after I chicken out too late and duff the shot totally :eek: However, that small chance of success seems to always out-weigh the risk of a cock up!! :D

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am having a 9 hole lesson with my pro, quite soon, and I am hoping to pick up a lot of tips from him, my decision making seems to be optimistic 90% of the time, even when trying to be cautious I seem to get myself into more trouble, I would just like to be able to analyse the situation faster and more accurately.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
It all comes with experience and a knowledge of your limitations. Over time you build up a knowledge base of all those times you've attempted certain shots and how well they turned out. You then add this to how well you're playing and how confident you are on that particular day.

What state my card is in will have no bearing on this for me personally but a lot of people get 'card' sensitive and try to protect a good score or go for things when they have a bad card as it doesnt matter what the outcome is.

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Mark,
I am no expert,but have learned the hard way.
If I hit the rough on a par 4 and cant see the green I dont go for it, just play a nice 9 iron, you will bogey at worst.
Long Par 4's as a good drive is 220 yards, I again take a 6-7 iron and leave myself a wedge in so bogey at worst.
As for the rough, it is criminal now, so 8 iron maximum.
What have I learned, less bad shots, less card wreckers and 10 shots better on the scorecard.
I wont pull a 3w or low recovery on any other hole other than a par 5, not because I hit long, it is because the chances of a major F up are more especially on protected greens.
It is all fun.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst not strictly for when you have found the fairway, i can seriously highly recommend Dave Pelz's most recent tome "Damage Control" - very very sensible, based on years of observing the top players, and i can vouch for it.

Basic thoery is that ALL golfers will get into trouble during their round, whatever standard they are, including teh top pros; but what makes the difference between successful players and the nearly-guys is that the successful ones are better at getting ou of trouble quickly and sensibly, with mimimum impact on their score. The successful players practice the shots they will need to do this, and the successful players have a mental technique for assessing risk when deciding what shot to play when in trouble.

Pelz talks you through this technique, as well as showing you all sorts of locations or course set ups that are designed to make you play from trouble. Also tells you a whole collection of weird and wonderful shots to get you back in play , including playing off your knees, and above your waist, off really steep slopes etc

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just twigged what you were referring to, yes we have par 3s but I dont have problems with them and was meaning that I was hitting straight as opposed with the driver going all over the place. Any way you guys knew what I meant. Dont forget I am a beginner. Just send me off for a tin of tartan paint or some sky hooks.