Playing The Berkshire

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I am playing the Berkshire on a corporate day soon, i have received some info for the day , and it's a bit daunting . I've not played much in the last year and i expect to be rusty , also i have never played a course of this quality .It's jacket and tie for dinner and seems the dress code requires long socks if shorts are worn ,not keen on either but i realise it's a very traditional club so hey ho.
We can play both courses , competition round on the red couse in the morning and and optional social round on the blue course in the afternoon .
One question i have is that it says caddies will be assigned to each fourball . Is that a caddy each or one caddy to each fourball ?
There is no way my trolley battery will do two rounds ( it barely does one ) my trolley bag is heavy so if i have to carry i might just make do with a pencil bag .
If anyone has any advice or info it would be much appreciated thanks .

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No idea about the course but if I had an invite to play two decent courses in a day I would be prepared to pay the cost of a motorised trolley hire myself they are usually not expensive or even just a push trolley.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks , thats pretty much my thoughts , i'm just trying to figure out what to take as four of us are travelling together so space will be tight , i don't want to take gear i will not need or take my trolley bag and find i have to carry it . I have just tried my pencil bag and it seems i can get everything in that . The weather looks good so it's not like i will need extra clothes or wet gear , so i can keep it to a minimum .

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've played the Berkshires a few times and never seen anyone with a caddie so I'm guessing it is something your organiser has arranged? I love the Red, it has 6 holes of each par so it is very varied and enjoyable to play. The Blue is a more traditional layout.

I agree with Backache, if in doubt about your trolley then hire one on the day but ring ahead to reserve it just in case.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks , thats pretty much my thoughts , i'm just trying to figure out what to take as four of us are travelling together so space will be tight , i don't want to take gear i will not need or take my trolley bag and find i have to carry it . I have just tried my pencil bag and it seems i can get everything in that . The weather looks good so it's not like i will need extra clothes or wet gear , so i can keep it to a minimum .
Don't know what age you are , when I was younger I would certainly happily carry a bag for 36 holes. I must admit nowadays to carry on enjoying my golf I would hire a trolley.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
...seems the dress code requires long socks if shorts are worn ,not keen on either but i realise it's a very traditional club so hey ho...

Have played the Berkshire a couple of times - their dress code says they prefer long socks, but only require ‘suitable golf socks’ so I wore white socks that covered my ankles... the exact wording is:
DRESS CODE
The Berkshire expects visitors to wear suitable attire while playing golf and in the Clubhouse. Tailored shorts with suitable golf socks may be worn, however, in keeping with the traditions of The Berkshire, long golf socks are preferred.​

It may be that the organiser is preferring to keep with the traditions, but the club itself is OK with more modern apparel.

Enjoy your day - the Red course is just fantastic... more layouts should be 6 x par 3, 6 x par 4 and 6 x par 5 in my opinion (not sure what more are not to be honest)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Two fantastic courses and the lunch is worth the effort of putting a jacket and tie on. In my opinion, if you want to wear shorts then I'd stick with their preferences (not wishing to re-open the dress code thread). Played it a few times and never had a caddy or been told my four ball had to have one

D

Deleted member 15344

Have played the Berkshire a couple of times - their dress code says they prefer long socks, but only require ‘suitable golf socks’ so I wore white socks that covered my ankles... the exact wording is:
DRESS CODE
The Berkshire expects visitors to wear suitable attire while playing golf and in the Clubhouse. Tailored shorts with suitable golf socks may be worn, however, in keeping with the traditions of The Berkshire, long golf socks are preferred.​

It may be that the organiser is preferring to keep with the traditions, but the club itself is OK with more modern apparel.

Enjoy your day - the Red course is just fantastic... more layouts should be 6 x par 3, 6 x par 4 and 6 x par 5 in my opinion (not sure what more are not to be honest)

I have played it three times in shorts with ankle socks as well , last year we all wore shorts with ankle socks as well 👍

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Infraction issued
In fairness the OP is everything that is wrong about golf! Can’t play, can’t read, can’t work out a solution to 36 holes, won’t appreciate the courses and will probably win with 40 points off his ‘26’ handicap.....

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In fairness the OP is everything that is wrong about golf! Can’t play, can’t read, can’t work out a solution to 36 holes, won’t appreciate the courses and will probably win with 40 points off his ‘26’ handicap.....

Can’t work out what your post means,

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks for the input , for your info my handicap has been as low as 11 , if that fits your criteria for (can't play ) thats your problem , I only posted to get info and fill gaps (i.e being unclear about caddies )
I'm sure i will appreciate the course and the organising that has gone into the day . I admit there is no way i would pay £200 a round to play it though.
We are all entitled to opinions, and if i gave mine i'd get an infraction !

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hmmm, not sure that was called for.
He's merely asking for a bit of advice, that's what forums can offer.
I'm sure that, if he'd got no replies, he'd have managed to work it out.
Sheesh, some people!

To the OP, andycap, you're going to love it.
Two fabulous courses and some fabulous food.
If the weather is good, just relax and savour the day ................................... I know I would!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for the input , for your info my handicap has been as low as 11 , if that fits your criteria for (can't play ) thats your problem , I only posted to get info and fill gaps (i.e being unclear about caddies )
I'm sure i will appreciate the course and the organising that has gone into the day . I admit there is no way i would pay £200 a round to play it though.
We are all entitled to opinions, and if i gave mine i'd get an infraction !
Nice reply!

Indeed, The Berkshire, in spite of its 'Jacket & Tie' rule for Lunch and military background, is by no means stuffy. And the lunch is superb - definitely worth the fuss of changing! I actually rate it as my favourite day's golf. both courses are superb, but not overly long, so the last few holes are not (such) a slog as they can be elsewhere.

I suspect that 'single caddie' will act as fore-caddie - locating tee shots - and can/will also provide 'reads' on greens. While likely already paid through the society, an additional tip for 'service' is expected.

Oh, and be warned....First shot after Lunch is 'a doozy'!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In fairness the OP is everything that is wrong about golf! Can’t play, can’t read, can’t work out a solution to 36 holes, won’t appreciate the courses and will probably win with 40 points off his ‘26’ handicap.....[/QUOTE

Nice contribution - full of helpful info, considered thought and a dose of humour! Not!!