Playing Off The Correct Handicap

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

I’m aware of a golfers responsibility to ensure they play off the correct handicap by self adjustment downwards if required.

I’ve searched the CONGU Manual and found the relevant paragraph, however I can’t find if this applies to Cat 1 golfers also.

Normally any reductions to Cat 1 handicaps are passed via the County, hence the confusion.

So can Cat 1 self adjust (if required) while awaiting said County authority.

Obviously all above is only when circumstances dictate, ie, playing in 2 Opens in consecutive days.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m aware of a golfers responsibility to ensure they play off the correct handicap by self adjustment downwards if required.

I’ve searched the CONGU Manual and found the relevant paragraph, however I can’t find if this applies to Cat 1 golfers also.

Normally any reductions to Cat 1 handicaps are passed via the County, hence the confusion.

So can Cat 1 self adjust (if required) while awaiting said County authority.

Obviously all above is only when circumstances dictate, ie, playing in 2 Opens in consecutive days.

I think the need for county authority only applies to the original allocation of a Cat 1 handicap - not the adjustment of one.

As mikejohnchapman says, you always adjust yourself down, so l suppose the only time county authority might be necessary is if you adjust from 5.5 to 5.4. (If for some reason they don't confirm the reduction, then all that's happened is that a player has played off one too few shots - which is fine)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
System derived adjustments don't need the county involvement - only those where an element of judgement is involved.
Adjustments directly as a result of a Q score in line with the system therefore don't require it (even if they mean a move into Cat 1).
AR adjustment from cat 2 to Cat 1 does.
Initial allocation to cat 1 does.

thegoldenbear

Hacker
Visit site
Other than the initial allocation, County Authority is only required if the adjustment is exceptional such as for General Play or due to injury. Reductions due to scoring should be applied by the player if not yet updated by his home club.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
System derived adjustments don't need the county involvement - only those where an element of judgement is involved.
Adjustments directly as a result of a Q score in line with the system therefore don't require it (even if they mean a move into Cat 1).
AR adjustment from cat 2 to Cat 1 does.
Initial allocation to cat 1 does.

Suspected that was the case. Ta for confirming...