Playing lessons......

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Anyone ever had a playing lesson with a pro?

Rather than concentrating on the swing look at game management and mentality, sounds a good idea to me.

Any thoughts?

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have had playing lessons as part of a course of lessons from the pro. I think you really need to mix driving range lessons with course lessons to gain most benefit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a few over the years an found them pretty good from a course management perspective. The one thing I would say is try and make sure your swing is fully grooved from any swing changes so you don't spend the time on course working ont he swing instead of the mental and course management aspects

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, I would recommend a playing lesson. Had my final lesson of a set of 6 on the course and found some little tips given by the pro about percentage play etc. very useful.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have never had an official one but it is on the list for this season.

Lucky enough to have a few pro mates,but their playing lessons normally consist of "Thanks for the fiver. By the way,what on earth were you thinking on the 1st/2nd etc etc"

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone ever had a playing lesson with a pro?

Any thoughts?

Not for me. If you play off 10, I'd be surprised if you need an assessment of your course management. But I could be way off the mark....

D

Deleted member 1147

Well, realgolferuk, if you think that walking up to most tees with the driver thinking to yourself "lets see how far this badboy goes today" is good management, then ok!

No, I normally totally lose my mind when playing golf - can't think straight, get annoyed by everything, talk myself out of good shots and go for everything, and I mean everything.

My problem is that technically I'm quite good - but mentally I'm terrible (think Van der Velde at the open)!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, realgolferuk, if you think that walking up to most tees with the driver thinking to yourself "lets see how far this badboy goes today" is good management, then ok!

You've lost me......you'll need to elaborate......I was paying a compliment to you and those of us that can safely say we don't waste shots through course management incompetence.....but then again.....

No, I normally totally lose my mind when playing golf - can't think straight, get annoyed by everything, talk myself out of good shots and go for everything, and I mean everything.

My problem is that technically I'm quite good - but mentally I'm terrible (think Van der Velde at the open)!

This, I can't help with......I'd say some books on the mental side might help more.....

tell us more, you have me intrigued....

D

Deleted member 1147

I thank you for the compliment but only my swing deserves it not the rest of my game.

I am terrible on the golf course. No matter how much I say to myself "ok lets play to a game plan" I never do it.

I will stand on the tee thinking that it would be perfect for a long iron down the right to set up a 7 iron at the pin. But then something takes over and I try to drive the ball over the rubbish on the left to leave a short pitch.

Or, if something goes wrong when I am playing to a plan I get fed up and just start lashing.

Or, when over a 4 foot putt I actually hear myself saying "don't miss it, don't miss it, don't miss it - doh"

When I get home if someone asks how I went on I say terrible. But then go through the shots and invariably I have played really well for 95% of the round but stupidity costs me (and 3 putting).

What I want is for someone to say:

"at your ability you should go for it"

or on the other hand:

"with your striking you don't need to go for it, you'll easily put a short/mid iron close enough"

Do you follow now?

I'm truly messed up when it comes to golf!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a playing lesson would help me a lot, personally. Maybe not so much off the tee, as I'm quite conservative with those, but those tricky ones around the greens (90 yards and in) where you have an endless choice of shots. I always seem to make the wrong choice!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess all of us are slaves to our natural way or attitude to things. I'm not good enough to take risks but understand the temptation to get carried away. If you/we can trust to get ourselves out of sticky situations, then aggressive play seems logical to me. I suppose the truth of it is that off 12 I can sit around and wait for the opportunity for straightforward pars or birdie chances. You low(er) players have to chase good scores on individual holes, it's no good being 7 or 8 over after 9!!!

At mine, I should be only 1 over after 4 for my h'cap (based on the S.I.s) but am often 4 over.....but the last 14 holes present 9 good par/birdie chances even though the SI's are lower.....I'm never in a rush to score, and always bide my time. It's a patience thing, doesn't make me a saint but I'll admit I don't often stray too far from my h'cap either way.....which is a bit depressing sometimes. :)

davethepro

Hacker
Visit site
gill ill be happy to take you round one day buy me a drink at the end and we will say no more about it, i can show you good course management and tactics as well as mental strengths