Playing from the Green

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the 13th, had a mahoosive duck hook.. the ball sailed over the tree and ended smack bang into the middle of 14th green. Would have been awesome shot had it not been the wrong green. What are the options of playing from there? Obviously I cant hit an iron from there.. Should i drop it on the side and hit back onto my 13th fairway

1) We have a bridleway separating the 13th and 14th, so I assume I am OB. Hence picked the ball, walked back and dropped it where it crossed the bridleway.

2) A similar situation between our 1st & 3rd but there is no bridleway but a sparse line of trees separate the 1st & 3rd fairways. Golfers usually walk across and hit the ball back. But never really sure how it works if the ball ends up on the 3rd green

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the greens of holes other than the one you are playing are 'wrong putting greens' and play from them is prohibited.
The relevant rule requires you to drop at a point clear of the green, not nearer the hole, without penalty.
If your ball is OOB it's OOB, so you have to play again from where you played your previous stroke, with a penalty ie If it was your tee shot you replay and are playing 3.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the 13th, had a mahoosive duck hook.. the ball sailed over the tree and ended smack bang into the middle of 14th green. Would have been awesome shot had it not been the wrong green. What are the options of playing from there? Obviously I cant hit an iron from there.. Should i drop it on the side and hit back onto my 13th fairway

1) We have a bridleway separating the 13th and 14th, so I assume I am OB. Hence picked the ball, walked back and dropped it where it crossed the bridleway.

2) A similar situation between our 1st & 3rd but there is no bridleway but a sparse line of trees separate the 1st & 3rd fairways. Golfers usually walk across and hit the ball back. But never really sure how it works if the ball ends up on the 3rd green

I would suggest you read the card to see what the local rules are regarding OOB etc, you should not just make an assumption especially if you are playing in a competition.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As the other have said, if you are on the wrong green, you get free relief no nearer the hole, I would always check with my PP they are happy with where I am going to drop.

And unless there's white stakes marking OOB then it should be on the back of the card, if nothing is mentioned then you are in play and hit from where you have taken your drop

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Find the nearest point of full relief (up until and inclusive of 31st December 2018 you may stand on the green), which is not closer to hole on the green you are playing to and drop the ball within one club distance of that point.

It should be unlikely that the bridleway is OB (the R&A do not like internal OB) you may be confusing it with it being treated as an obstruction from which you get relief.