Play for fun or to win

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your club comp has a prize of say somewhere near £75,

Do you play for a bit of fun or do you play to win?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I aim to play as low as I can, and to get my handicap down. Hopefully if I do that, I have a chance of winning as well.
Also, as it’s my hobby, I try to enjoy it, whilst trying to do my best!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always play to win. Lose with good grace and if you should be lucky enough to win, do it with humility.

I always try and shoot as low as I can whether that's a monthly medal, club major or casual knock at the weekends or on my own and good bad or indifferent I try to enjoy it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really see the difference? Whenever I play golf I want to get the best score I can, which fulfils both aims doesn't it?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't really see the difference? Whenever I play golf I want to get the best score I can, which fulfils both aims doesn't it?
Not necessarily
To get your best score you may have to play conservatively, not going for shots, playing safe.
Good for scoring, not always good fun though..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily
To get your best score you may have to play conservatively, not going for shots, playing safe.
That's how I play all the time to be honest. So no distinction for me. I only ever 'go for' a shot if I think there's like a 90% chance of me pulling it off. That goes for comps or non-comp. For me just playing well and getting a good score is fun, I don't need to be smashing driver off the deck over a lake and whatnot.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily
I'm not sure about this one. I always play to score my best. Being in a comp wouldn't make me change my strategy.
Apart from match play that is

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf is strange, you can shoot a winning score but if a high handicapper has a blinding round your 40+ points won’t win.

Just get out there, play your game plan, have fun and the rest will take care of itself, if you win you know you were the best golfer against their handicap that day.

Of course all of the above is irrelevant if it’s scratch or matchplay. Except the game plan of course.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always go out with the hope of beating my handicap, I may not win even if I do, but on the other hand I may not beat my handicap but may still win