Play and no pay

D

Deleted member 16999

We get people on our course all the time, from dog walkers to kids looking for balls.
Taking time to actually talk to them and being polite has proved better than confronting them.
The dog walkers we remind that the greenkeepers use chemicals and it would be best for the dog if they weren’t let off the lead.
The kids we invite to join and learn and try and get to know them, previously when we’ve alienated them, suspicious damage has appeared on the course, thankfully this year the damage has been limited to gorse bushes being set on fire and even better the culprit has been caught.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Come on guys, let him without sin cast the first stone.
Wasn't Trevino always being chased off by the green keeper? I'm sure the same applies for most top players when they were young.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Come on guys, let him without sin cast the first stone.
Wasn't Trevino always being chased off by the green keeper? I'm sure the same applies for most top players when they were young.

Tommy Fleetwood used to sneak onto Birkdale with his dad.

No excuse really though.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was playing the course one evening in the summer and came across a group of 4 lads - probably 16 to 18 - kicking a football around on our 6th green! I went up to them, asked them what they were up to, and then told them to get lost.........or words to that effect!! It worked.

Depends on the situation I suppose and how you approach it. I could've been polite, and then got a load of verbal back. But in this situation, actually being a bit forceful and confrontational when they knew they were completely in the wrong actually worked. And the fact I still had my 3 iron in my hand and was waving it around probably helped too!!

Not witnessed any 'play no pay' but I would definitely report it to the club.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only seen it twice on the same course Prestonfield in Edingburgh, couple were on the course but they were not really playing properly just hitting the ball with woods about 80 yards apart, second time was playing a par 3 and hit a poor shot between a large gap in the trees with a clearing behind, when I got there a man was standing with a iron in one hand and 5/6 balls in the other hand his young daughter appeared from some bushes obviously looking for balls.

I asked if he had seen my ball but he said no, but it was probably in his hand, got to the next tee and phoned the pro ,after the round the pro said there was no sign of them when greenstaff went looking.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ronnie Corbett used to come out of his back garden and play a few holes at The Addington for years in the evenings.

Someone else can do the short of money gag.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Fleetwood, Seve, even Tiger. Maybe in 10-20 years there'll be a story to tell. In any event, if they're not doing damage I'd be inclined to let them be; If they're young teens it's very unlikely they can afford the green fees with any regularity and in all honesty, if they're not damaging / vandalising the course, there are worse things kids can get up too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I approached a 3 ball calmly and respectfully whilst out on my own. The response wasn't pleasant at all. It became very threatening very quickly. I might do it in a 4 ball but I wouldn't do it if I was out as a single again.
This. Fine for some to suggest politeness is the way forward but sadly in the modern society, those in the wrong, in this case trying to get something for nothing, don't like being found put and pulled up and the situation has the potential to escalate quickly. If this happened on a hole a long way from the clubhouse it could become very nasty especially if there aren't too many others around

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty do it at ours I’m sure. Park up in the road. I do it on Christmas Day when the place is shut up.
I don’t accost anybody. Frankly I just mind my own business.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm playing again this Friday, so I'll see if they come back - I think the polite and gentle approach seems best, and a word with the pro if it's not a successful encounter.