Planning for winter heating

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Are log burners still allowed to be installed?
New laws banning the sale of certain types of fuel come in force aimed at cutting the amount of a kind of damaging air pollution. Anyone using a wood burning stove or open fire in the home from today must only use cleaner alternatives to wet wood and coal, a new law says.4 May 2021

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have to work from home e.g. need to contactable on a landline, customers expecting you in or do you just need to on a laptop and mobile.
If the latter work from somewhere with free wifi that is not going to be moaning at you for being there, such a local library. Got room on the driveway for an old caravan they take very little to heat up.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have to work from home e.g. need to contactable on a landline, customers expecting you in or do you just need to on a laptop and mobile.
If the latter work from somewhere with free wifi that is not going to be moaning at you for being there, such a local library. Got room on the driveway for an old caravan they take very little to heat up.

I work in financial industry so can't have my work (audible or readable) in public space.... Plus I use 5 screens so working off laptop alone isn't possible.

I think the theory behind a caravan is what I will aim for however.... My home office is the box bedroom so I aim to just heat that room and keep door closed when cold.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I work in financial industry so can't have my work (audible or readable) in public space.... Plus I use 5 screens so working off laptop alone isn't possible.

I think the theory behind a caravan is what I will aim for however.... My home office is the box bedroom so I aim to just heat that room and keep door closed when cold.

Our house is hard to warm downstairs on the basis it’s open plan but warns quickly upstairs due to insulation upgrades we did two years ago.

Problem we have is the misses has the upstairs box room as an office which warms very quickly, if I’m in the dinning room it takes bloody ages.

She keeps moaning about layers etc which I get, but one thing a colleague has done was to change to a dyson tower fan/heater just for the room he works in. Work with doors closed where possible and only look to heat them rooms.

If you’re only heating one room the oil filled electric rads are good. If you set the stat once the rad is up to operating temps it will slow release with the element just keeping the oil topped up.

I’ll be working from a clients spare office so I’m good but if that falls through I may convert the second bedroom as it’s warmer. We have now invested in a wireless stat for the house which is down stairs in the evening. The misses will have the stat in the office and once that room is warm it will shut the central heating off.

When we move next we are considering a new build driven mainly by efficiency, if not it will need to be a house where there is the option to heavily upgrade efficiency as this is a problem that isn’t going away.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm gonna turn the heating up full blast, like most round here, and have the lights burning all night in the house, again, like most round here, then moan that I can't afford the bills and demand the government pay for everything.

Brads

Visit site
New laws banning the sale of certain types of fuel come in force aimed at cutting the amount of a kind of damaging air pollution. Anyone using a wood burning stove or open fire in the home from today must only use cleaner alternatives to wet wood and coal, a new law says.4 May 2021

Yup, except that you don't

You have to buy kiln dried if you buy a small amount.
I buy tonnes at a time and get it straight from being processed to sit in my log store as required.

Nonsense rule to placate folk that means nothing.

greenone

Visit site

I buy tonnes at a time and get it straight from being processed to sit in my log store as required.

Its to stop the supermarkets selling small bags of green wood. Personally I ran out of seasoned firewood in march this year. I certainly noticed the difference in the electric bill when I ran out.

Tashyboy

Visit site

So how do you know what the wetness of the wood is ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
You can buy a meter. The weight of it will tell you as well. We only burn wood that's been seasoned for over two years.
Is the correct answer?, but buying tonnes at a time to use to use as required does not mean it is seasoned. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Our house is hard to warm downstairs on the basis it’s open plan but warns quickly upstairs due to insulation upgrades we did two years ago.
Actually, the fact that hot/warm air rises probably has as much/more to do with it than the open plan. The insulation simply contains the warm air that has risen. If single downstairs rooms, such as a lounge are to be kept warm, then draught prevention is necessary.
If there are no draughts, keeping warm can be much simpler/cheaper - simply put another layer of clothing on.

Last edited: