Ping Wedges

Meeksy1

Visit site
Hi. Looking to buy new Ping wedges early in the new year. Most of my golf is on links courses. Can‘t decide on which grind would be best but will either go for SS or TS. Thoughts?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No experience of Ping Wedges specificly just a lot of experience of wedges.

My advice would be to work out what type of wedge player you are - digger or or a clean hitter, lot of divot after the ball or little or no divot, what type of grass condition you are hitting from and choose the appropriate sole grind and bounce.

When I used to play links courses on away days I used to put a 51 degree links wedge in the bag (negative bounce and ultra thin/narrow sole).

So for me playing links I would probably opt for TS grind based upon bounce and sole width.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined a links club a year or so ago and am a sweeper. I upgraded my Mizuno wedges this year too - see details below.

I was expecting to need a very low bounce of those tight lies but the pro recommended a mid bounce 56, which would also be good out of sand. I actually picked up a 2nd hand low bounce 60 degree for those hard pan lies, but actually now use the 56 as much despite the 12 degree bounce.

The pro (and the Mizuno rep at the fitting) said its all about technique, and you don't need really low bounce. I have seen a few videos where guys are hitting high bounce wedges off wood or concrete, indicating this is fact.

Meeksy1

Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys. Appreciate your time. I’ll keep that all in mind when I decide which wedges to play. Cheers.

evemccc

Visit site
As above, everyone goes on about the bounce angle, but a slight difference in the shaft lean, ball position, technique etc etc makes big differences.

Plus links courses in this country aren't bone-dry dustbowls all year round so unless you're going to buy different wedges for different seasons it just has to be mid bounce, mid grind etc for most players.

Would Vokey 12 D grind for this description?