Ping Putters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Any Putter can work for anyone - there's no handicap limits when it comes to putting. It either works or it doesn't.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with a Ping putter whatever your level of play. So many styles, all well designed and very well made. But try others as well. There's probably never been better choice in putters. Odyssey, Scotty Cameron, TM, Rife, Yes, etc, etc, all have their fans and any one of these could be right for you.

I think with a putter you have to try it. If you like the look that's a good start as that should give you confidence which is a big factor in putting. However I'd guess many on here have at one time or another bought a putter they liked the look of but later found they couldn't putt with it. I know I have!

The thing to do is get your hands on one and see how it looks and feels when you actually putt with it. Then if it works for you, it's right for you.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Any Putter can work for anyone - there's no handicap limits when it comes to putting. It either works or it doesn't.

ok mate....the reason I put this question up here is when looking at reviews/write ups on the scottsdale some people had put may not suit 'newbies'....love the look of the scottsdales

That's bolux I'm afraid. A driver or irons - yes they may be more suitable to Pro than a Newbie but a putter...?
Anyone can use the same putters used on Tour - as long as the stroke you have works with the putter.
A £7.99 Dunlop from Sports Direct may be better for you than a £200 Scotty. Or Vice Versa!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still got my Ping Anser 2 from the 80's and it is doing OK. I've had numerous putters since then and all have worked for a while and then been as stubborn as a proverbial mule. It isn't the putter of course but the muppet on the end. Basically if you get the basic putting fundamentals about ball position, eye alignment and a decent stroke (Bob has a gizmo that can help) then you can virtually use anything to some degree of competency

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a Ping putter for everyone, they make so many styles. blades to mallets to spaceage designs, you are certain to find one for you.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a ping scottsdale tomcat putter and i really like it. It just feels really balanced and has a nice soft feel off the face because it has the soft insert.

Deffintley worth a look at if your after a more classic looking putter rather than some of the big ugly mallets.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping putters are great. Any/all of them might suit you. However, I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend a high MOI mallet putter. Putters have a sweet spot, a Ping blade has relatively little but a Ping mallet (JAS or Faith) has lots.
I've been playing golf on and off for 18 years and have tried a variety of putters. If I was to take a picture of the AGSI face on my Taylor Made Monza, you'd notice a small but distinct pattern of marks that are NOT dead centre. Why not....I mean how difficult is it? Well, next time you have a monster putt across a foot of fringe and 25 yards to the hole, imagine the difficulty of hitting it spot on the middle of the face. Every mm away from the perfect place = loss of distance control or unnoticeable changes to the face angle.

Here's a quote.
"The larger the clubhead, and/or the more the designer incorporates perimeter weighting, the higher the MOI of the clubhead about its center of gravity vertical axis will be. The higher the MOI of the head about its vertical CG axis, the less the head will twist in response to an off-center hit, and the less distance will be lost from that off-center hit."

I see plenty of players resolutely sticking with a pro blade putter of some sort. If you are experienced, use what you like and enjoy the benefit of the style that suits your play. A less experienced player i.m.o. should find a nice high MOI putter and get putting better sooner.

Try reading here too

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/26

Right, I'm off to hide in my bunker.... :eek:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Redwood zing works well for me as i like to swing round a little. I have found my v easy helps keep me together and helps me feel the shots.

I found the ping insert to the mag last month very helpful in choosing a putter. I would recommend going and getting fitted by ping for a putter as they seem to know their stuff.

I wonder what would happen if I dropped in at gainsboro on my way back home to hampshire next week or took a drive out tomorrow as its just down the road from me at my parents

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with a Ping putter whatever your level of play. So many styles, all well designed and very well made. But try others as well. There's probably never been better choice in putters. Odyssey, Scotty Cameron, TM, Rife, Yes, etc, etc, all have their fans and any one of these could be right for you.

I think with a putter you have to try it. If you like the look that's a good start as that should give you confidence which is a big factor in putting. However I'd guess many on here have at one time or another bought a putter they liked the look of but later found they couldn't putt with it. I know I have!

The thing to do is get your hands on one and see how it looks and feels when you actually putt with it. Then if it works for you, it's right for you.

Mashie
I currently have an Odyssey 'half mallet' and a Ram 'traditional style putter'.I am happy with the Odyssey just want to replace the Ram with a much better quality putter.(I use 2 sets of clubs..1 set is permanently at my golf club..the other in my garage for when I 'play away'..not being a car driver )
What I am finding lately in my putting is my distance control is improving but I am off-centre a lot of times

Kev

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site

ok mate....the reason I put this question up here is when looking at reviews/write ups on the scottsdale some people had put may not suit 'newbies'....love the look of the scottsdales

That's bolux I'm afraid. A driver or irons - yes they may be more suitable to Pro than a Newbie but a putter...?
Anyone can use the same putters used on Tour - as long as the stroke you have works with the putter.
A £7.99 Dunlop from Sports Direct may be better for you than a £200 Scotty. Or Vice Versa!!

Imurg

I am presuming what your meaning is bollocks what I read about certain putters not being ok for newbies?
If so it does make sense to me what your saying.

Kev

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got a ping scottsdale tomcat putter and i really like it. It just feels really balanced and has a nice soft feel off the face because it has the soft insert.

Deffintley worth a look at if your after a more classic looking putter rather than some of the big ugly mallets.

Bozza
Yeah I am looking for a more classic looking putter in Ping range.Theres a few I really like the look of,especially the soft inserts.
Is the soft insert linked with this MOI I read about a lot?

Kev

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My Redwood zing works well for me as i like to swing round a little. I have found my v easy helps keep me together and helps me feel the shots.

I found the ping insert to the mag last month very helpful in choosing a putter. I would recommend going and getting fitted by ping for a putter as they seem to know their stuff.

I wonder what would happen if I dropped in at gainsboro on my way back home to hampshire next week or took a drive out tomorrow as its just down the road from me at my parents [/quote

Science Boy

Yes I also found the Ping insert in GM helpul,its whats made me want a Ping putter in the main,as well as I have a good few Ping clubs anyway

Kev

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ping putters are great. Any/all of them might suit you. However, I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend a high MOI mallet putter. Putters have a sweet spot, a Ping blade has relatively little but a Ping mallet (JAS or Faith) has lots.
I've been playing golf on and off for 18 years and have tried a variety of putters. If I was to take a picture of the AGSI face on my Taylor Made Monza, you'd notice a small but distinct pattern of marks that are NOT dead centre. Why not....I mean how difficult is it? Well, next time you have a monster putt across a foot of fringe and 25 yards to the hole, imagine the difficulty of hitting it spot on the middle of the face. Every mm away from the perfect place = loss of distance control or unnoticeable changes to the face angle.

Here's a quote.
"The larger the clubhead, and/or the more the designer incorporates perimeter weighting, the higher the MOI of the clubhead about its center of gravity vertical axis will be. The higher the MOI of the head about its vertical CG axis, the less the head will twist in response to an off-center hit, and the less distance will be lost from that off-center hit."

I see plenty of players resolutely sticking with a pro blade putter of some sort. If you are experienced, use what you like and enjoy the benefit of the style that suits your play. A less experienced player i.m.o. should find a nice high MOI putter and get putting better sooner.

Try reading here too

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/26

Right, I'm off to hide in my bunker.... :eek:

Dave

Thats a really helpful e-mail you have done,cheers mate.

I already have an Oddyssey mallet putter (dont no if it has high MOI? ) that i do ok with distance just hit off centre a fair bit..(.but I have 2 sets of clubs and explained why earlier).So I also want a better quality and looking Ping putter than my cheap Ram traditional putter.

I have also read up on that ralphmaltby article.
Again very helful and interesting,like your e -mail

Cheers again

Kev

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
just read the ralph maltby article. kind of surprised that the one thing completely missing from that is the effect of shaft position.
might just be me but surely a centre shaft must give you a far better chance of getting a getting a strike from the centre of the face, no matter how long the putt?
the traditional 'side shaft' just seems to me to create a big flappy hinge, with a far greater chance of an open or closed impact.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Surely if the putter is face balanced, then the shaft position doesn't matter?

For a non face balanced putter, you want it to open and close during the stroke.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have realised thanks to the ping insert to the mag my ping redwood zing is perfect for me. I have always used heel-toe putters but the zing suits my preference for having the ball out in front of me rather than under my chin.

This means I cannot sit over a ball and read it, I have to trust the line I picked out. This greatly increases my confidence and I feel I can turn much better with my V-Easy.

Its always good when the makers of the club confirm what I was doing was right!