Ping PLD Anser 2 v Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say that a putter fitting gives you a starting point. I had one and I was advised that I needed a putter with a lot of toe hang as I have quite a strong arc (although I couldn't see it myself). That meant I started looking at putters with small slants rather than plumber/flow necks, and found my Spider EX. Isn't as much hang as I was advised, but more than I had ever used before, and I'm happy with it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive never been fitted for a putter, or had lessons on putting. Its just a natural thing for me (much more than the rest of my golf).
I have to like the look and weight of the putter for me to feel comfortable with it. The only guide I have used is the Ping putting arc thingy, and having read it I blind bought a Rife Cayman Brac (tropical finish) and don't feel I'll change it ever. Yes I have shortened it down a little, and fitted a much fatter grip but that is it. This putter is my wand, and for £80 is worth more than any Scotty on the planet:)
Oh yes, the putter does look gorgeous:)

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive never been fitted for a putter, or had lessons on putting. Its just a natural thing for me (much more than the rest of golf).
I have to like the look and weight of the putter for me to feel comfortable with it. The only guide I have used is the Ping putting arc thingy, and having read it I blind bought a Rife Cayman Brac (tropical finish) and don't feel I'll change it ever. Yes I have shortened it down a little, and fitted a much fatter grip but that is it. This putter is my wand, and for £80 is worth more than any Scotty on the planet:)
Oh yes, the putter does look gorgeous:)

cayman brac tropical is one sexy stick. I also had the Abaco tropical in the same year!

Good choice sir ?

D

Deleted member 29109

My lad uses my Abaco Tropical. Beautiful putter, but I missed every right with it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the one hand, it's absolutely worth spending money on getting the right putter, given that you hit around 40% of your shots with it. But on the other hand, it doesn't mean it needs to be an expensive putter, you just need to find the right putter.

Regarding fittings, I did one 5 or so years ago for my old putter which was an Odyssey, but it was just about getting the right sort of length, style and weight. I don't recall him getting down to lie angles and stuff like that. When I got my new Evnroll last year I didn't do another fitting, just stuck with the same length and style which suits my eye, and has the toe hang due to my putter swing being an arc. If you're not going to do a proper fitting, it's still worth trying different lengths and weights to find what feels the best.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I would say that a putter fitting gives you a starting point.

I would say picking a random putter off the rach gives you just as good a starting point. Waggling a few and picking one that irrationally, for some reason, you just like, is an even better starting point. And also a finish point. No further putter changes will do anything to improve your putting.