Ping PLD Anser 2 v Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Meeksy1

Visit site
Looking to purchase a new putter and keen on either of the above. Any thoughts on which one is better? Both expensive at £370/380. Too expensive for a putter? Saying that I spent £350 on a new driver a few years ago and the putter is the most important and used club in the bag. Or purchase another type/cheaper putter? Keen to hear your views. Thanks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I doubt on is better than the other, it all down to what works best for you. I'd suggest doing a proper putter fitting if you are going to spend this much. I can't see what the issue is with spending this amount on a putter, prob better spent on a putter as you will use this on every hole.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
There is no such thing as one putter being 'better' than another. A £20 one is just as 'good' as a £400 one. There is personal preference for one over another, so be guided by that. If you are happy with the look, feel, and sound of a putter, go for it. Brand and price paid matter to some, so if that is important to you, its worth taking into account too. But only in a prestige way. They will have no effect on putts holed. I think putter fitting is even more ludicrous and without foundation than general club fitting, so would consider that even more of a waste of money than paying for a premium/expensive name on the putter head. The best suggestion I can give on putters is to never think about them, or think of changing it. Focus on how you use it.

D

Deleted member 3432

There is no such thing as one putter being 'better' than another. A £20 one is just as 'good' as a £400 one. There is personal preference for one over another, so be guided by that. If you are happy with the look, feel, and sound of a putter, go for it. Brand and price paid matter to some, so if that is important to you, its worth taking into account too. But only in a prestige way. They will have no effect on putts holed. I think putter fitting is even more ludicrous and without foundation than general club fitting, so would consider that even more of a waste of money than paying for a premium/expensive name on the putter head. The best suggestion I can give on putters is to never think about them, or think of changing it. Focus on how you use it.

Couldn't disagree more on putter fitting.

What I will say is a fitting is not much good without a consistent stroke in the first place.

I've seen for myself the affect that changing the loft and lie angle has on both location of strike and quality of roll.

Night and day difference.

Teebs

Visit site
Couldn't disagree more on putter fitting.

What I will say is a fitting is not much good without a consistent stroke in the first place.

I've seen for myself the affect that changing the loft and lie angle has on both location of strike and quality of roll.

Night and day difference.

100% agree based on my recent putter fitting and witnessing the results pre and post fitting.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I doubt on is better than the other, it all down to what works best for you. I'd suggest doing a proper putter fitting if you are going to spend this much. I can't see what the issue is with spending this amount on a putter, prob better spent on a putter as you will use this on every hole.

100% agree with everything in this post. My putting was noticeably the worst part of my game with averagely 1 putter change per season. After a fitting and investing in a high end putter, I doubt I’ll change for a good few years as my putting is the best it’s ever been

Is it too expensive…. Only if you can’t afford it. If you can afford it then a fitted putter is a great investment.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Putting is an art not a science.

Although a putter that doesn't fit your body or style doesn't help! Same goes for what you like the look of, we're all different.

Some players are "feel putters" and some are more mechanical.

So you are the only person who can answer your own question.

Last time I bought a putter was from the club pro. I took about 5 or 6 out of the shop and on to the practice green. I messed about with the bundle of putters till I picked one. I then took it on the course and used it in round.

But of course that's only one approach!!

I've only owned 3 putters in 30 odd years!!

D

Deleted member 23270

What are the benefits of a putter fitting versus taking every putter out of the pro shop onto the putting green and trying them all until you find one that works?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What are the benefits of a putter fitting versus taking every putter out of the pro shop onto the putting green and trying them all until you find one that works?
The flaw in that is the presumption that you will find one that works. They will all work. But the knowledge that you must pick one has you search as if there is something different and some are good or bad, some work or dont work, or some suit you or dont. Only an irrational preference for an aesthetic, random holing of a putt with one and not with another in the small sample of trial putts, or, our bias for the illusion that more expensive = more good, breaks a tie that really has no breaking.

D

Deleted member 23270

The flaw in that is the presumption that you will find one that works. They will all work. But the knowledge that you must pick one has you search as if there is something different and some are good or bad, some work or dont work, or some suit you or dont. Only an irrational preference for an aesthetic, random holing of a putt with one and not with another in the small sample of trial putts, or, our bias for the illusion that more expensive = more good, breaks a tie that really has no breaking.
So if I get fitted I'll hole more putts?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me the putting fitting eliminated so many what if’s based on feel. Few stroke, few practices putts followed by “ I like that here’s my cash “ 4/5 months later is on eBay and there’s another in the watch list or on route.

When fitted for irons I was advised my arms were slightly longer than average and as such my irons are a rule are bent -1* flat, I’ve always felt the most comfiest with a 33” putter yet the fitting proved 35” was the most suited. There were multiple other factors which on reflection show why previous putters kinda worked but highlighted the good and bad in all but also explained the constant lack of confidence, because the combo I have now I’ve never had in any of my past putters.

looking back against my current spec the closest I’ve had was a #7 with flatso grip but that was a 33”. I putter very well on fast greens and that was my purple patch putter in 2014 but of course when the greens slowed down and my distance control slipped I bailed out, sold the putter and on to something else.

The fitting gave two options which were 3* loft 35” mallet with medium fat grip as a base spec. My putting stroke varied between a slight arc and straight back and through. When I discussed my current lessons being trying to get me steeper into the ball I was advised that this would also straighten my arc so best to go face balanced.

It was the best £40 I’ve spent.

Edited*

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me the putting fitting eliminated so many what if’s based on feel. Few stroke, few practices putts followed by “ I like that here’s my cash “ 4/5 months later is on eBay and there’s another in the watch list or on route.

When fitted for irons I was advised my arms were slightly longer than average and as such my irons are a rule are bent -1* flat, I’ve always felt the most comfiest with a 33” putter yet the fitting proved 35” was the most suited. There were multiple other factors which on reflection show why previous putters kinda worked but highlighted the good and bad in all but also explained the constant lack of confidence, because the combo I have now I’ve never had in any of my past putters.

looking back against my current spec the closest I’ve had was a #7 with flatso grip but that was a 33”. I putter very well on fast greens and that was my purple patch putter in 2014 but of course when the greens slowed down and my distance control slipped I bailed out, sold the putter and on to something else.

The fitting gave two options which were 7* loft 35” mallet with medium fat grip as a base spec. My putting stroke varied between a slight arc and straight back and through. When I discussed my current lessons being trying to get me steeper into the ball I was advised that this would also straighten my arc so best to go face balanced.

It was the best £40 I’ve spent.

7 degrees of loft? Admit it man, you bought a chipper :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But what if I trust and practice with the one I chose through trying out loads on the putting green?

The great thing about this game is it’s what suits you, I can only talk from my past ten years plus being a golfer with low putting confidence and have owned approx 20 putters.

7 degrees of loft? Admit it man, you bought a chipper :)

???

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I play a different putter every week, I can honestly say that my putting is pretty much the same whichever putter I use.

(Yeah, before anybody says it I already know, my putting is :poop: every week)