Ping Fitting but which Irons?

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Been quite a bit about Ping recently on here but doesn't quite answer my question.
Going to Ping fitting centre next month for new irons with graphite shafts (definitely graphite shafts - broke left hand some years ago and get 'shock'*** with steel shafts). Fairly new at this game (started last autumn) and about to put in 3 cards which should give a 'cap of 19 (best) or 20(average)
Think I understand that G10s are 'oversized' whereas I10s are more traditional but where do Raptures fit in the mix? Is the difference in cost worth it and why?

***Yes I know if I hit the ball cleanly every time....

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go for the G10s, Raptures are not worth the extra- I have tried all 3 and whilst the main selling point of the i10s is the better looks compared to the G10s I was willing to sacrifice this cosmetic aspect for the much better forgiveness of the G10s.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Most people choose an iron they like, or can hit well, then get custom fit. You are approaching it from a very unusual angle, choosing a manufacturer and then choosing the model.

Personally I think the best irons for mid / high handicappers who wish to improve are TM R7 TP or Cally X20 irons, which are forgiving, but more 'players irons'. Nothing in the ping range appeals to me.

Have you looked around, or just chosen Ping out of a hat? Brand loyalty is a wonderful thing (and Ping do inspire this), but if you aren't set on a particular model you amy be missing out.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Most people choose an iron they like, or can hit well, then get custom fit. You are approaching it from a very unusual angle, choosing a manufacturer and then choosing the model.

Murph
Agreed and would love to do that but irons in stock with graphite shafts are as rare as hen's teeth. Only one I have ever had chance to use is a 5 iron demo a local pro shop which definitely reduced the 'shock' compared to my Di7s. Pro called all his mates on a number of occasions - they are in same position. AG stock them for some brands in Ladies but not blokes.
If I don't get on with Pings during fitting at least I will have the specs. But then again, what good would that do me?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can see your problem. My Dad bought Ping irons (he has always used Pings) in the states, where they all stock graphite. It must be more common in the US.

Have you thought of going to the Belfry where there are most of the major brands, because that way you could try out other manufacturers?

I have nothing against Ping, I just have never picked up one of their sticks and thought, hey, I love this.
I am sure if you go to Ping, they will recommend a model based on the quality of your strike, and shot dispersion.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. If I don't get on with Pings but am given the specs such as lie etc, will those specs translate directly to any other maker?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, there is no industry standard so getting Ping fittings then going to get Callaways from AG won't work.

Guess there's room for a conversion table here.