Penalty basics

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry for the elementary question. I only ever play solo or social.

If I hit a tee shot out of bounds or lose ball I would then get a two-stroke penalty, correct?

To keep it simple for me, let’s say I re-tee the ball and hit it straight into the hole. My score would be 3 strokes? (oob ball + penalty + re-teed shot) or is it 4 strokes? (oob ball + 2 strokes for penalty + re-teed shot).

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The far more knowledgeable rules folk will be along with a far better explanation than I can ever give but yes, if you hit oob then re-peg it and goes in the hole it shall be a 3.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No
If you play another off the tee then you get a three!
Stroke and distance .
Tee shot + 1 shot pen + re tee ball. = three.
The two shot penalty is if you walk up and drop another ball but that’s not until 1st Jan 2019.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think of it this way.
Your tee shot goes OB - 1 shot
Imagine you've played the ball back to the tee - 2 shots
In the hole - 3 shots.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The two shot penalty is if you walk up and drop another ball but that’s not until 1st Jan 2019.

I was worried that this would happen!

The walk up, drop and play 4 is not a rule of golf but an allowable local rule that a club can decide to introduce from January.

However it is looking likely that this will not be allowed in counting comps so I doubt any club will introduce this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was worried that this would happen!

The walk up, drop and play 4 is not a rule of golf but an allowable local rule that a club can decide to introduce from January.

However it is looking likely that this will not be allowed in counting comps so I doubt any club will introduce this.
He said he plays solo or social in the op.
I never said it was a rule of golf , just answered his question.
In this case he never mentioned comps so he can do what he wants.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He said he plays solo or social in the op.
I never said it was a rule of golf , just answered his question.
In this case he never mentioned comps so he can do what he wants.

In social golf you've always been able to drop where you want if that's what is agreed. Your mention of Jan 19 is what stood out for me. Social or solo golf won't change so why mention it at all?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In social golf you've always been able to drop where you want if that's what is agreed. Your mention of Jan 19 is what stood out for me. Social or solo golf won't change so why mention it at all?

Because he recognised that I wasn’t clear on how many penalty strokes it was. I like to keep scores myself sometimes to see if I’m improving.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mentioned it because he asked if it was a two shot pen.
I was just trying to explain where two shot penalty would occur.

If his club decides to adopt the LR it will be open to him that’s all.
He won’t be able to use it in comps anyway if he starts playing in them.

Bruce Miller

Visit site
Social golfers usually drop out in the fairway anyway as many of you have said. However, the problem I see is there will be many discussions happening over how to handle an OB shot or a lost ball (and the legal drop now allowed with a two-stroke penalty), the new 3 minute search time, moving the ball while searching, etc. There are guides to the changes which can easily educate golfers during play beginning Jan 1 2019 such as "Golf's New Rules: A Handy Fast Reference Effective Jan 1 2019"

Keep in mind, the R & A adopted the most major changes to the Rules of Golf in more than 30 years and all go into effect January 1, 2019. A guide like "Golf’s New Rules” gives you a clear and quick description of the new rules along with a two-page Summary which will answer most new rule questions in seconds. This is helpful since the Official Guide put out by the R&A and USGA is 500+ pages and at times difficult to understand.

On the lighter side, the new rules allow you to ground your club in water or any penalty area - water hazards and most hazard areas (not bunkers) are now called "penalty areas" But can you wear mask and snorkel like you wear sunglasses??? Haha!

golf meme new rule.jpg
;)

Attachments

• golf meme new rule.jpg
    golf meme new rule.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0