pc- wifi experts

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi guys , I'm getting no wifi signal to my pc when I try to use it in my back sitting room, only 10 metres and 2 walls 1 of which is the original outside double brick wall. Could this effect the signal ?. any way can I boost the signal ?
If this is what causing the problem, or could I connect another wifi unit in my back room , as there is a [direct] virgin media cable being used for my tv box.? thanks.

DCB

Visit site
10 metres and 2 walls away.... yep, probably beyond range.

Check the spec for the unit you are using to see what the ideal scenario would be for best signal. there should be details on effective range, which is probably based on an uninterrupted signal.

Not as simple as just adding another wifi unit in the back room. Your probably looking at creating small network there to do that.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It's prob the insulation in the outside wall plus wall thickness
Is it possible to run another LAN cable from the router?

Otherwise look into homeplugs/powerline which use the electric wiring to carry the network signals

Fragger

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could also be some channel interference going on, i would suggest you download this: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Personally, unless its a very old router or wifi card in your PC, 10M and a few walls should not be a problem (unless you live in an old house with proper thick walls), i am right now in my office in my garage which is 15m from my house and the router is another 5m into the house, so through 2 internal walls, 2 brick and 15m and i have 4 bars on my laptop.. my iphone wont pick up the signal though as the wifi is rubbish in them..

have a look at what channels your neigbours are using and set yours to use the quietest one..

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys , I think it might be my pc wifi card , as my old larger pc used to pick up the full signal before it blew up. Can the wifi card in my Samsung e352 be upgraded easily. ? :confused:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys , I think it might be my pc wifi card , as my old larger pc used to pick up the full signal before it blew up. Can the wifi card in my Samsung e352 be upgraded easily. ? :confused:

Not easily, would be easier to disable it and buy a USB wifi dongle... check all the firmware is up to date on it first though!

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you have an android device, then download WiFi analyser and connect to your access point. This will the give you a -dB loss on the signal. A laptop should still work at -75dB but iPhones and iPads will usually give up at -65dB. The software will also give a list of all the access points that you are picking up and the channels they are on. It could be that there are lots of access points that are configured to the same channel as yours and they are broadcasting a stronger signal.

Hope this helps.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
homeplugs will give you a great signal in the room you dont get one in

Yup - I use a homeplug when I couldn't get wireless Sky On Demand to work fast enough. Unless you want to do something clever (I just want broadband in another room so basic) it is simply and truly just 'plug and play'.