PC died - took my Garmin with it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Switched on my PC this morning & nothing, no lights, no sound, completely dead. I had my Garmin S1 plugged into a USB port to charge. The face is totally blank & it won't switch on. So, in addition to a PC repair, I have a new GPS to buy. Power surge? For such a low powered device I suppose it wouldn't take much.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Switched on my PC this morning & nothing, no lights, no sound, completely dead. I had my Garmin S1 plugged into a USB port to charge. The face is totally blank & it won't switch on. So, in addition to a PC repair, I have a new GPS to buy. Power surge? For such a low powered device I suppose it wouldn't take much.

No chance of claiming through house insurance Bill?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Don't think your Garmin is broken, to be honest. Battery is probably just completely empty. Happened with mine a few times when the charger wasn't properly connected. Try to re-charge it on a different device with usb outlet or with a phone charger that has a usb connector. It is going to take longer than usual, but after 24 hrs it should work again.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't think your Garmin is broken, to be honest. Battery is probably just completely empty. Happened with mine a few times when the charger wasn't properly connected. Try to re-charge it on a different device with usb outlet or with a phone charger that has a usb connector. It is going to take longer than usual, but after 24 hrs it should work again.
I'll give it a try but it was fully charged I think because it had been plugged in all the previous day.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'll give it a try but it was fully charged I think because it had been plugged in all the previous day.

The thing is that usb can direct power in both directions, so when your computer power supply died, it could have sucked the Garmin dry. As I said, happened to mine a few times, even though the battery should have been fully charged. I thought it had died at first as well. But once recharged it was fine every time.

D

Deleted member 23344

Can I suggest you mains charge the new one ... quicker too. If it doesn't have a mains charger with it, just use a phone type charger plug that has a USB slot for the cable (e.g. Kindle, iPhone) and use the Garmin's cable in it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well. Got a call from the PC shop this morning. Motherboard burnt out, DVD reader / writer jammed with strong smell of burning, 1TB hard drive on the way out. Looks like I'll have a practically new PC when I get it back. Can't wait to find out whether printer, scanner & all the other bits attached to the USB ports have been damaged. Think my Garmin is dead, whatever anyone else says.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Can I suggest you mains charge the new one ... quicker too. If it doesn't have a mains charger with it, just use a phone type charger plug that has a USB slot for the cable (e.g. Kindle, iPhone) and use the Garmin's cable in it.
20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's just so convenient plugged into the PC. I'm reminded to put it on when I'm sitting in front of it.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Using any computer to charge stuff via the USB risks burnout of the resistors and capacitors as some devices will draw significant power (in electronic terms).

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well. Got a call from the PC shop this morning. Motherboard burnt out, DVD reader / writer jammed with strong smell of burning, 1TB hard drive on the way out. Looks like I'll have a practically new PC when I get it back. Can't wait to find out whether printer, scanner & all the other bits attached to the USB ports have been damaged. Think my Garmin is dead, whatever anyone else says.
Got it back, kept crashing. Turns out that one of the 8gb RAM chips was defective, the modem was burnt out & 4 of the USB ports had stopped working. All fine now, not surprising when 75% of the components inside are new!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My PC is very much triggers broom.

2nd set of ram
2nd monitor
2nd keyboard
2nd Mouse
Added 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs
2nd PSU
3rd graphics card
2nd liquids cooling loop radiator fan

MoBo, CPU and liquid cooling still going strong, got it in early 2009 and still going strong.

I don't want to total up ho much all those upgrades/replacements have cost.

Currently eyeing up going to an ultra wide 34/35" monitor and upgrading the graphics card if it can't handle the extra width... if I go 1440p I might have to get a new card...

Pretty sure my i7 920 can handle it without being the bottleneck