Pay & Play in London

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,
I did a quick search on the forum but could find anything relevant.
I'm meeting a friend in central London next Friday and we would like to play a game somewhere in London (as close to central London as possible).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I forgot to add that we may need to hire clubs as my friend is coming from US and won't have clubs with him, although I have a second set that he can use in worst case scenario.

Many thanks

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Theres no pay and play courses in central London, its a case of how far out and in which direction you are prepared to travel

Somewhere like Trent Park is pay and play and you can hire clubs there (or certainly used to be able) if North is your best option

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a 9 hole pay and play course at Playgolf Northwick Park (near Harrow) if that's any use? It's mostly par 3s though. I don't think you'll find many courses in central. :confused:

From Googling I think the best you can do is Finchley Golf Club in North London, it appears you can play there for 30 quid on a Friday and book through their website.

D

Deleted member 25172

Trent Park is a great pay and play course, but if you have an extra set of clubs then bring them. You don’t want to hire a set of clubs there I can promise you.

You could also have a look at my home club, Mill Hill, and see if they have any tee times available.

sunshine

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I think Finchley is my best bet. It's reasonable at £30.00 although I think you a discount booking it on-line.

If you're heading that way I think Hendon is a better course than Finchley. Same price bracket and not much between them, but Hendon is definitely more challenging

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're heading that way I think Hendon is a better course than Finchley. Same price bracket and not much between them, but Hendon is definitely more challenging
I agree. And as an homage to the weekend, is a nice little Harry Colt track to boot.

sunshine

Visit site
I have some input... London is a big place (obviously) so I can only give you a guide on "my quadrant". Imagine London as a clock face I can cover 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock, I've started at 9 and moved clockwise. All these are less than 20 min walk from a station:

Ealing - go to Perivale on the central line. Private course with great greens.

Brent Valley - not on the tube, but easy walk from Hanwell station. Good option for a cheap and cheerful but interesting public course. Look out for chavs.

Ruislip - short walk from West Ruislip on the central line. Public course, not great, but it has a range.

Sudbury - Sudbury Town on the Picadilly. Private course but does cheap visitors green fees on certain days. Quite open and not too tricky.

Haste Hill - Public course near Northwood Hills on the Metropolitan line. Good for a public course, but bit of a walk from the tube, maybe 15-20 mins.

Pinner Hill - Also Northwood Hills, 15 minute walk in the other direction. Private course in a nice secluded location. Can be tricky with some quirky holes with significant elevation changes. Does cheap visitors fees as it is struggling a little, condition is not always great but it is cheap.

Northwood - probably the best course in Middlesex, short walk from Northwood station on the Met line. Private - you might struggle to get on there on a Friday.

Sandy Lodge - continuing your journey up the Met line, Sandy Lodge clubhouse is 100 yards from Moor Park station. Lovely linksy style course on sandy soil with great practice facilities. Probably a bit more pricey than the other options above, but much better quality. The Met line has fast trains that skip all the intermediate stations so Moor Park is a lot closer than it looks on the tube map. This is a very good option and very convenient.

Moor Park - head the other way out of Moor Park station, walk through the palatial mansions and on to the Moor Park estate where there are 2 lovely courses. At the top of the price range but you are getting top quality Hertfordshire golf.

Hendon - Mill Hill East on Northern line. Bit of a trek from the station but decent private course generally in good condition, with cheap visitors fees on certain days.

Finchley - Also Mill Hill East. Much grander than Hendon on arrival, but quite a bland course on my opinion, hemmed in by housing. Struggling financially so cheap offers to be had.

South Herts - short walk (but uphill) from Totteridge on the Northern line. Lovely club, well conditioned, has a premium feel to it but isn't particularly challenging. Might be a bit pricey.

Trent Park - opposite Oakwood on the Piccadilly. Very popular public course, with a large range and safari adventure golf too! Cheap, convenient, nice course, good value for money.... so most of London will be trying to play there. Imagine playing behind JB Holmes and Patrick Cantlay, then imagine they have brought their slower friends with them.

Wow, I've got to this point just listing courses off the top of my head! I'm sure I've missed some. And that leaves three quarters of the capital uncovered.