Packaging a golf club for sending in the post?

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Would it be safe to send a steel-shafted golf club in the post without using a box, provided that it was thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap?

I've sold a couple of clubs on eBay and none of the local pro shops have any spare club boxes, and I am having trouble finding boxes of the required length.

Thanks

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi All

Would it be safe to send a steel-shafted golf club in the post without using a box, provided that it was thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap?

I've sold a couple of clubs on eBay and none of the local pro shops have any spare club boxes, and I am having trouble finding boxes of the required length.

Thanks

Look at it another way.

If you had just brought a club through eBay and it turned up, un-boxed, just bubble wrapped (... No matter how well), would you be happy at how it was packed?

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Look at it another way.

If you had just brought a club through eBay and it turned up, un-boxed, just bubble wrapped (... No matter how well), would you be happy at how it was packed?

Well the question was more borne of necessity at being unable to locate for purchase sufficiently sized boxes.

Though in answer to your question I would suggest that providing the item was packaged suitably as to avoid damage to the club, I would be happy, so the real question is whether or not it is possible to package a club suitably to avoid damage without the use of cardboard :D

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fairly dodgy! Didn't your new wedges come boxed or any spare from shop?
If not I would suggest cutting some cupboard and taping together at least.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've received clubs wrapped only in a bin liner before....does it bother me? no.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will generally sell stuff in a box if I've got one to hand. However, tis not always the case.

I recently sent a club up to somebody on here boxless. Wrapped the whole thing in lots of bubble wrap and then wrapped that will that thick brown package paper stuff. Finally held it all together with about 20 meters of tape.

Looked a bit untidy but all safe and sound and arrived in one piece :)

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
have been in this predicament my self a few times.

Do you have any normal cardboard boxes? Unfold the box so it lays flat. I used a box for a baby walker, they will usually unfold into a fairly long piece of cardboard. Lay the club in bubble wrap on one side and then roll the whole lot until you reach the other side. You end up with a cardboard tube and you can just tape the edge and ends.

Had no complaints using this method

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If there's a local American Golf, they should have a box - or several.

Local Pro/Club might be able to help too.

Otherwise find some cardboard and make one up. I've done that for a couple.

Bubble wrap alone is risky though.

A

Alex1975

I hit a 5 iron earlier in the year and on my follow though the shaft just nudged a tee, the shaft snapped like a twig.. shafts are not strong in that direction...

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will generally sell stuff in a box if I've got one to hand. However, tis not always the case.

I recently sent a club up to somebody on here boxless. Wrapped the whole thing in lots of bubble wrap and then wrapped that will that thick brown package paper stuff. Finally held it all together with about 20 meters of tape.

Looked a bit untidy but all safe and sound and arrived in one piece :)

And it gave me a good laugh when it got here :)

If it arrives in one piece and is as described, then I can't see how anyone could have an issue.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit a 5 iron earlier in the year and on my follow though the shaft just nudged a tee, the shaft snapped like a twig.. shafts are not strong in that direction...

That must have been some tee. Did it promise 15 extra yards and improved accuracy? ;)

As for the op. If going to a local shop isn't an option. A good wrapping of bubble wrap should provide good protecion. Does take quiet a bit though. A poster tube slid down the shaft and taped well into the package will provide protection against bending. Always send the item with some form of insurance cover as well and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Panic over folks, I found some boxes at work and have constructed some makeshift boxes with the aid of 475 yards of tape and about 4 hours work! :D

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
If there's a local American Golf, they should have a box - or several.

Local Pro/Club might be able to help too.

Otherwise find some cardboard and make one up. I've done that for a couple.

Bubble wrap alone is risky though.

Funny you should say that, AG at Filton were my first port of call, followed by 8 other pro shops in the area, none of which could help! But all's well that ends well. Cheers all.