Oversized grip, push right?

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm just wondering if there was any truth in that an oversized grip will cause you to push shots right.

I've just been to the range which confirmed my thoughts that lately 75% of my shots are going around 15-20 yards to the right and I'm having to correct my alignment to cope. The ball flight is perfectly straight and no slice (aka Kev's power fade) it just seems I'm pushing the ball. I've had friends watch me at the range and my swing path is on course (thanks to bob's head cover drill) so a little short on ideas.

Suggestions welcome

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you've had problems in the passed with your swing path, you've probably tried to balance that fault out with an open clubface which is often created by a weak grip.
It sounds as if you may have cured the swing path problem and are now left with the other fault. So yes, it could be the grips are too thick but I'd check your hold on the club to make sure it's not weak.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The grip has a direct influence on the direction the clubface points at impact which therefor affects the direction the ball starts. Take it for granted at your own risk

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Aside from your grips, has your ball position changed?

I tend to hit a straight push when I've let the ball position creep too far back.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I wouldn't have thought a mid size grip would really cause a lot of bother, they could.... but I wouldn't have thought they'd account for a 'major miss' than if you'd said that you were using large or oversized jumbo grips. Have you got tiny hands? :p

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope, the ball is always dead centre of my stance for short irons and only slightly further forward for long irons and hybrids

Pretty much as I used to be.

I moved everything a ball forward and it pretty much solved the issue I had with pushing the ball.

A question on your grips. When you grip your club with your left hand, does your middle and ring fingers touch the fleshy pad at the base of your thumb?

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much as I used to be.

I moved everything a ball forward and it pretty much solved the issue I had with pushing the ball.

A question on your grips. When you grip your club with your left hand, does your middle and ring fingers touch the fleshy pad at the base of your thumb?
Luckily I have just got the clubs out ready for the early start tomorrow. These fingers just touch, but do not press on the fleshy pad