Overdone it

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anybody else practiced or played so much they've forced an injury?

I've hit around 600-700 balls over the past week, off grass I can't see it being much of a problem however these have predominantly been irons shots off mats. Plus a few rounds on the course.

Pushed through the pain and after 25 balls last night i could no longer grip the club with my left hand and donated the balls to some children to wack.

Sat at work with an ice pack on and wrist support to limit movement hoping it subsides sooner rather than later.

No more mats for me, another range has grass bays which I'll stick to from now on. Maybe try and practice my putting if it doesn't cause too much pain!

All my clubs are in for a re-grip and loft/lie check so at least I can't physically play or practice for a few days.

Anybody else pushed their body too far, maybe even got tendonitis how long were you out for?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Far too often unfortunately.

One of the really bad cases was when I first got back in tot he game after nearly a years layoff. I never used to wear a left glove and once hit so many balls I realised that a fingernail on the right hand had worn away all the skin on the left hand and I could see the bone.

These days I never hit more than about 15 balls on a range.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not me ,but Mo Norman had to pull out of one of the majors in the USA after getting a tip from Sam Sneed I think, then went out and hit so many balls his hands were that blistered he couldn't hold a club.

Sounds like your story Mo :thup:.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have had inflammed tendons/ligaments down the outside of the right forearm from the elbow after too much range use.
Wasnt very nice.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, I managed to get a golfer (or rather tennis) elbow the year before last after practicing too many pitch shots with a strong grip. The strong grip really was more of a problem than the number of shots hit, though, I think. The elbow kept bothering me for several months until I finally gave in and used loads of diclofenac on it and changed the grip back to a weaker one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not something I'm ever likely to experience I wouldn't think. I play once a weekend and if I visit the driving range I can't hit more than 50 balls or else I get bored and it becomes pointless! I don't think I've had an injury actually caused by golf before - touch wood. My mate had a strain in his hand for ages. He just kept taking ibuprofen and carried on playing, which probably wasn't the best way about it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Currently suffering from golfer's elbow, and have been for a few weeks. I'm still playing twice a week, which isn't helping. This week its today and tomorrow.

I'll be a long time dead, so will play until my arm falls off.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Currently suffering from golfers/tennis/ bloody sore elbow.
Been practising and playing a fair bit recently as well as lots of heavy graft at work and I am in a fair bit of pain.
Frustrating but I think the only real cure is rest.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another one here who got golfers elbow through over doing practice. Had it for about 3 months.
I believe golfers elbow is on the inside of the elbow and tennis elbow is on the outside.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another who struggles with sore elbows when over-practicing especially in the winter when the range is the only place to work on the game. I've been a fool in the past and carried on and made it worse. This winter I want to plan my practice more constructively and avoid any repetition

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anybody else practiced or played so much they've forced an injury?

I've hit around 600-700 balls over the past week, off grass I can't see it being much of a problem however these have predominantly been irons shots off mats. Plus a few rounds on the course.

Pushed through the pain and after 25 balls last night i could no longer grip the club with my left hand and donated the balls to some children to wack.

Sat at work with an ice pack on and wrist support to limit movement hoping it subsides sooner rather than later.

No more mats for me, another range has grass bays which I'll stick to from now on. Maybe try and practice my putting if it doesn't cause too much pain!

All my clubs are in for a re-grip and loft/lie check so at least I can't physically play or practice for a few days.

Anybody else pushed their body too far, maybe even got tendonitis how long were you out for?

I have no idea how you could hit so many balls. I have just been to hit 100 and found it really hard to focus. After hitting 2 or 3 good shots with a club, my mind would wander and I would try different swings to see if I could hit it further or better or a different shot shape.

I'm not working on anything in particular, just trying to find my swing really after not playing much golf in the last few years.

Appreciate if I had a few lessons I would have things to work on specifically. And I should also look at trying to measure my practice so I can determine what progress I've made and stay focussed.

Anyways, I am definitely not injured after my session.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was advised by my pro to only hit 50 balls at the range because -

1. it stops injury
2. stops boredom
3. Allows concentration on what you are practicing.

That's not daft at all.

in reality, the practice hours of handicap golfers (those that do practice) are spent battering balls on a range rather than putting or chipping - which would likely help them lower scores far more effectively.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played hickorys on Monday and gave myself a nasty blister on my little finger. i don't tend to wear a golf for this as the grips are a nice sued, had to hold the it off the club for the last few holes.

Also have bad tennis elbow on my left arm from golf, no amount of exercises have worked this time and the doc says rest it..... had 3 games already this week, so thats working out well:rofl:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Seems quite common for injury of some form then!

I never really get bored of practice when I used to play a lot previously. It's all fresh again though so probably helps. I have some structure to it though with various drills which keep me engaged and focussed.

- Usually along the lines of

- 10 High fades Into a green (in a row)
- 10 High draws into a green (in a row)
- 10 Straight (ish) into a green (in a row)
- Repeat

If I hit a very poor shot, I start from 1 again for that particular shot selection.. Keeps me engaged and helps on the course if I know 10/10 I've nailed this shot so just swing.

The reason for hitting so many mainly is for getting a good average of my yardage due to new irons.

I spend A LOT of time with my wedges though as we have greens at 70, 90, 100 yards so I have a similar structure with full shots, half shots, floaters etc.

I've found a range near me with with grass bay alternatives so I'll be spending more time there.

Most of my spare time is spent putting and chipping though, if I only had 1 hour free for practice after work I'd spend it there.

My home boss has been working late shifts a lot recently so i've had a 4-5 hour practice window most evenings.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When your body sends you pain messages it's a very good idea to listen!!

Anyone who says "push through" the pain is simply stupid.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Got to agree, initially I thought bugger it hit some more.

Stupid really, for the sake of a practice session putting myself out of playing this weekend. Had a good rest for 3/4 days and will be strapped up with KT tape for practice and play on saturday to try and reduce the symptoms.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like to add

Thank goodness for Ibuprofen and Diclofenac without them I would have given up the game over 20 years ago.

_MH_

Visit site
I'm having problems with both my Achilles tendons at the moment and I'm convinced it is because I've been playing a lot more golf this year than ever before. Problem is because I've just joined my first club and wanted to get my "money's worth" I was loathe to rest up for days/weeks/months. I fear this will come back to haunt me. In the meantime my naive and ill thought out solution is to buy an electric trolley as soon as a decent sale starts ;-)