Over the top? Slicing, impatience and drill.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched this Mark Crossfield video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu2_qVHXpRQ

He places a range bucket at the outside of his outside foot and if one is hitting this with the right heel on the downswing, chances are one is executing an over-the-top swing path, causing slices.

I slice. I slice a lot.

I have just practised this drill and the bucket is kicked.

I'm heading to the range tomorrow morning as always, but as I'm an impatient chap I hope you don't mind me creating a thread here to simply ask:

Do you reckon that by executing the right foot drill properly, forcing the weight through correctly that it will make a difference to my bad slicing habits?

Furthermore, anything else I should work on?

A

Alex1975

I used to be Mr over the top and I do have some advice for you but I cant watch that video at the moment or stop to think about how I got rid of the over the top/slice.

I shall get back to this post when I am not at work. In the mean time I would guess that Bobs head cover drill will help if he comes along and posts it.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I too suffered this and on occasions still do

You have to re-think the downswing bottom to top

In other words get to top of swing and then start the downswing without using the shoulders / arms but by turning the hips

A good tip is to think about turning the belt buckle towards the target before the shoulders etc

This feels if the right shoulder is now lower than the left and ball striking is improved with better plane etc

Fighting the OTT swing is hard as most newcomers feel this is the way to "hit" the ball but it is very wrong and will punish you with the longer clubs

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I shall get back to this post when I am not at work. In the mean time I would guess that Bobs head cover drill will help if he comes along and posts it.

Would appreciate that, thanks!

I will look a bit odd at the range with a bucket next to my right foot and a headcover under the arm. Looking forward to it!

A

Alex1975

I too suffered this and on occasions still do

You have to re-think the downswing bottom to top

In other words get to top of swing and then start the downswing without using the shoulders / arms but by turning the hips

A good tip is to think about turning the belt buckle towards the target before the shoulders etc

This feels if the right shoulder is now lower than the left and ball striking is improved with better plane etc

Fighting the OTT swing is hard as most newcomers feel this is the way to "hit" the ball but it is very wrong and will punish you with the longer clubs

Great reply and exactly my experience!!

I find that the OTT (attacking the ball with the right shoulder) is a defensive move, your trying to "hit" the ball strate and end up doing exactly the opposite.

I really done think I can explain it any better than it has been. The down swing must start (they say from the feet upwards) but lets say from the right hip and it must be a rotation not a lateral movement. I also find that in practice I needed to focus on starting the ball right of the target and not that defensive ball crossing the body to try and give ones self more space to slice/fade the ball.

Its mentally hard for a slicer to start the ball right but it is a wonderful feeling when it starts going the way it should.

Swing path is an issue but by starting the down swing with the right hip rotating the correct path is easier to attain.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Me dumb, me don't get it.

Exactly where should the headcovers be placed and what is the purpose of the drill?

It depends how big the headcovers are.
The purpose of the drill is to stop you swinging out to in.
If you do, you will hit them.
They should be positioned abouta foot behind and a foot in front