Over the top / Out to In

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Interesting Drill TC, will be trying that tomorrow, apart from driver I think the wedges will feel more solid also and fly further with better contact.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
yeh it helps with all clubs to be honest, just a really good drill :thup:

though personally i've found my driving has improved the most.
more consistent and longer

i think its because the drill encourages an inside path and a shallower attack, ideal for the big stick, whereas the over the top move leads to a choppy swing, steeper angle attack which you can get away on the shorter clubs to some extent.

Last edited:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You have also shortened your backswing, much tighter now. Amazes me how many overswing with irons, trying to reach horizontal and beyond (Sounds a bit Buzz Lightyear) Have a look a one of the best iron players, Luke Donalds swing, and see how far he takes it back.

hi richard, i've made a conscious effort to get my swing more compact and controlled, i haven't really lost any distance just gained accuracy, i need it with the rough round burnham ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's lots of Youtube cures out there to help you fix the out to in move.
The tricky part is to find the one that works for you.
Film yourself from down the line and watch what your hands do in the change of direction from the backswing to the downswing.
Do your hands drop straight down, do they move forward towards the ball or do they move back away from the ball.
Whichever drill you use that helps you drop the hands or move them back away from the ball is the one to stick with.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cheers Bob, I've never really thought of the hands moving away from the ball from the top of the swing, I can't really get a 'thought' around that, do you have a drill or swing thought that encourages dropping or moving the hands away?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Its more of a feeling than actually doing it.
The normal out to in swing will go back on the inside and will then loop to the outside causing the pull/slice.
Think of it as a reverse loop.
Go back straighter then loop backwards not forward.
If you have an out to in loop, film it and watch it in slow motion BACKWARDS then try and copy it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks Bob, I'll need to get a video up one day, havent even seen my own swing apart from a vid lesson years ago and a lot was going on then.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think it's a brilliant drill.
Lots of experts stock response to an over the top move is you need to start with the lower half of the body, but i think this drill goes one step further, letting the club fall away from you at the top also means your lower body starts moving out of the way automatically as there is nothing else for it to do, if that makes sense.
Where as just saying move the lower body to start leaves some confusion as of what to do with the top half

I've probably pushed this drill enough now :D:eek:

I'm very happy with where my swing is now thanks to this drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtdrMK39kE

Time to start focusing on my short game :fore: :D

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Agreed. Very good in the transition. But keep your eye on it because it has a habit of sneaking back if your not careful

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Agreed. Very good in the transition. But keep your eye on it because it has a habit of sneaking back if your not careful

You're a wise man Bob, it does exactly that especially after a full round, i think its because of the years of playing with an OTT move.
I plan to go to the range at least once a week to keep it in check, hopefully one day it will become natural

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtdrMK39kE

Time to start focusing on my short game :fore: :D

Lots of good bits in that swing Tim, I'd still say that you could do with some weight shift to the left side so you can get a bit of shaft lean (lag), a bit more power into your hit (hit the ball with the big muscles not just the swinging of the arms), and to get your plane just a fraction lower on the downswing.... but for a 15 h/capper that is turning into a pretty good action :thup:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hi james

yes my swing does feel like its lack power but to be honest i'm trying to tone back the aggresiveness of my weight shift

i had an issue with my right foot coming of the ground to early in the swing

if you have a look at my driver swing you'll see what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HID_h36JriU

also my swing seems to not look quite so pretty when i get aggresive with it

i found by being toning it down i hardly lose any distance in the irons,

probably about 15 or so yards in the driver but im more consistent

i figure when this swing starts feeling more natural i can turn on the power again.

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
After watching this I took my camera to the range tonight and tried it.

It's a lot harder to let the club drop nicely flat than it looks, and after watching my shiny MP-69 land on its head and bounce off the front of the range once I didn't try it again. I did rehearse it without letting go of the club though, just letting my hands support it as it dropped slightly in the transition, and after a few minutes of that I had a go hitting balls.

I have NEVER had a drill produce results so quickly!

As anyone who saw my swing thread a few weeks ago will know, I come over the top slightly (?!?) as well.

This is a still taken from the 1 swing I filmed. It's a bit dark because it was done at 240fps with only range lights, but you can make out the head level with my silly hat behind me, and a bit of the shaft in front of my sleeve near my hands. I've never seen the shaft so low on my downswing before.

Can't wait to play tomorrow now!

View attachment 4072

So, do the arms drop down, or just the club????

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My method in the downswing is to point the butt end of the club along the extended ball to target line while keeping my left upper arm connected to my chest.