Over-rated Bands / Musicians

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Never really understood how Rod Stewart has made so much money.

The wife and I have been to his gigs on many occasions, firstly about 1978 and various times since. He can still sing (unlike many ageing greats) his bands are always top notch, and he sings the songs that made him famous. I get that some dont like his style but I fully see how he made his money!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The wife and I have been to his gigs on many occasions, firstly about 1978 and various times since. He can still sing (unlike many ageing greats) his bands are always top notch, and he sings the songs that made him famous. I get that some dont like his style but I fully see how he made his money!

Fair do's. I realise plenty of people must like him for him to be worth $300 million (according to a quick Google search).

I could name about five or six of his "famous" songs and none of them are really that great in my opinion. Staggers me how they've carried him to such a fortune, but good on him.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can we just re-name this thread "Singers/Bands I don't like and can't understand why they were successful"?
In other words, more people than you had a different opinion.

Except Boyzone - they were just krap.

I think that you have given the definition of anything that you think is overrated, something that lots of others say is great but you do not like. Not sure what else an opinion of something being overrated is.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fair do's. I realise plenty of people must like him for him to be worth $300 million (according to a quick Google search).

I could name about five or six of his "famous" songs and none of them are really that great in my opinion. Staggers me how they've carried him to such a fortune, but good on him.[/QUOTE

I loved his voice on his early songs with the Faces and his vocals on the Python Lee Jackson song In a Broken Dream was brilliant.

Not such a fan of his later stuff especially after he had the throat operation.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that you have given the definition of anything that you think is overrated, something that lots of others say is great but you do not like. Not sure what else an opinion of something being overrated is.
I think there's also the "and I can't understand why others like it" bit.

I hate jazz, but I can understand why others like it, and I can appreciate the immense skill involved. It's not overrated, just not my thing.

I hate punk. I just can't understand why anyone likes it. No beauty and no skill. Almost all the bands, and especially the Sex Pistols, completely overrated.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I hate jazz, but I can understand why others like it, and I can appreciate the immense skill involved. It's not overrated, just not my thing.

I hate punk. I just can't understand why anyone likes it. No beauty and no skill. Almost all the bands, and especially the Sex Pistols, completely overrated.
Not even 'Two pints of larger and a packet of crisps please'. or 'Gordon is a Moron'

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Which introduces another aspect to the debate. Mrs. BiM is a huge Rod Stewart fan, and I would never have bothered; beyond a few songs I didn't think he was all that. However, against my better judgment, I agreed to go with her to one of his concerts. Whilst I wasn't that impressed with him on record, I could not believe how good he was as a live performer. He was absolutely top notch, and any thoughts I might have had that he was overrated were immediately & permanently dispelled.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Haven't found any traditional jazz that I can listen to for any length of time, but when we were in New Orleans we went to Preservation Hall, which is, as the name might suggest, what an old jazz club would have been like. loved it, even bought a couple of the CDs. Still can't listen to it for any length of time indoors. :LOL::LOL:

As you say, not overrated, just not me.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

I could name about five or six of his "famous" songs and none of them are really that great in my opinion. Staggers me how they've carried him to such a fortune, but good on him.

Aha young Padawan, you are forgetting his Album sales, His "American Songbook" series has sold zillions over there

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem with some of these is take the foo fighters and Coldplay as examples

Both can split opinion so if you don't like them you won't go see them

But both are amazing live. Coldplay at the Emirates was just an amazing concert .. with the wrist bands we got given that all flashed so the entire stadium lit up like a Christmas tree in time to paradise

Incredible and clever

But if you don't like them you won't go see em

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot have already been mentioned, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, U2 etc.
I'll throw in...
Bruce Springsteen
AC/DC
Stereophonics
Ramones

On a more general tone...
Just about all pop music of the last 20 odd years.
12 bar blues.
Country music.
Hardcore dance music.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot have already been mentioned, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, U2 etc.
I'll throw in...
Bruce Springsteen
AC/DC
Stereophonics
Ramones

On a more general tone...
Just about all pop music of the last 20 odd years.
12 bar blues.
Country music.
Hardcore dance music.

That pretty well only leaves 'The Dagenham' Girls Pipe Band'