Lorde
Sting
The Weeknd
Sting
Post Malone
Sting
Anything with "featured"
Sting
What did you think of Gordon Sumner GIL?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bananarama...nope - never quite got what it was about three, allbethey, pretty lassies singing jaunty pop in unison - that made them the most successful (in terms of top 50 hits) all girl group in pop history.

Most of the bands I didn’t ‘get‘ was down to my musical taste at the time...i could hear they were good and liked occasional tracks...but pretty much totally missing from my vinyl and cassettes are most heavier rock, so likes of Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Europe, The Who, Metallica, Whitesnake...and almost all American ‘heavy’ rock of 80s and 90s. I did however like Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship - rock on Grace Slick ?

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can we just re-name this thread "Singers/Bands I don't like and can't understand why they were successful"?
In other words, more people than you had a different opinion.

Except Boyzone - they were just krap.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it's Ed Sheeran. I genuinely don't get why or how he's seen as the pinnacle of solo artists these days. He has a reasonable singing voice, not exceptional. He's not outstanding in his guitar playing. He's written some fairly good pop songs, again, none of them exceptional. I really don't understand why he seems to be so highly rated.

I'm not going to pick on any individual but some of the shouts in this thread have been absolutely scandalous. :cautious: Two examples that seem to have cropped up, Oasis & Coldplay - both of them kicked off with two absolutely outstanding albums, and after them, sure the returns were very much diminishing. But I don't think that makes them overrated since people generally accept that their first albums were the best.

"Overrated" doesn't just means a popular band you don't like. :LOL:

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a good one. I think he's fashioned a whole solo career on the strength of one truly great song. If he hadn't have had Angels I reckon he would have quietly disappeared 20-odd years ago.
There are lots of bands and solo artists that I don't like but I understand why others like them or I can respect what they do. Having heard Williams sing at live events on tv a few occasions I don't think he can particularly hold a note. For a professional that is unforgiveable and that is what does it for me regarding him. He is a great stage performer, that is what his career is built around on the whole, but if a singer can't really sing without magic buttons being pressed................(same reason Kylie goes into this category for me as well)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are lots of bands and solo artists that I don't like but I understand why others like them or I can respect what they do. Having heard Williams sing at live events on tv a few occasions I don't think he can particularly hold a note. For a professional that is unforgiveable and that is what does it for me regarding him. He is a great stage performer, that is what his career is built around on the whole, but if a singer can't really sing without magic buttons being pressed................(same reason Kylie goes into this category for me as well)
Yeah, it was all confidence and charisma with Williams I think, and as I say, one great song which really got him across to everyone. With Kylie I guess it was looks more than anything, plus a couple of half-decent pop songwriters behind her.