Outgrowing irons?

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Just a quick question that I hope others can help me out with.

I'm currently playing with what you might call forgiving clubs for a high handicapper - Yonex VMXs. They're great and I love them.

Last week I went on holiday and borrowed a set of slightly more advanced clubs from a friend - mid-handicapper irons really - and found them much easier to hit than the Yonexs with much more distance and accuracy.

I guess what I want to know is whether it is possible to outgrow your clubs? I've only had the Yonexs for about 4 months but my game has improved quite quickly since using them; I've gone from 28 to 16 quite rapidly and part of me thinks I'd be stupid to change clubs so soon. But, is it possible to 'outgrow' a set of irons? When would you consider changing?

Or - put another way - how far can high-handicapper clubs get you?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

On this forum, about 320 yds carry

Yeah with the 5 iron LOL, you have started on a slippery slope you might as well change them and be done with it!!! Clubs are only as good as the person using them........

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com

On this forum, about 320 yds carry

Yeah with the 5 iron LOL, you have started on a slippery slope you might as well change them and be done with it!!! Clubs are only as good as the person using them........

Yes, quite true!

I guess what I was trying to get at is that I feel like I'm hitting my clubs well, but that when I played with slightly more advanced clubs I achieved much better compression and distance/accuracy with them; having gone back to my clubs on my return it just feels like I'm hitting a tennis ball with a spade.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sounds like it's time to change.
Once you get that nagging doubt in your mind your game starts to go Rory!
What clubs did you borrow?