Opinions?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know that the world would probably be a duller place without them but why cant some people learn to keep them to themselves....
I played this morning with my usual weekly 4 ball....Me, Daa, baby brother and my cousin....
To say my dad's outspoken would be an understatement...Its crankier he's getting the older he gets...(60) now...

Anyway we rolled up for the usual weekly comp..( a singles matchplay qualifier 1st round...Stableford format..Bit unusual i thought as its matchplay but the course was lengthened and back to nearly full normality after the winter months...

We had a bit of a words exchange on the 2nd tee box as the 4 ball in front were arsing.... but im not really one to get wound up...I usually take things in my stride...But Paw...Well lets just say that he was beginning to simmer :(...

Of course iv been getting the blame for putting us behind slow players for the past 8 weeks or so even though i book a time when there is hardly anyone booked for that particular day..Im usually pretty early on the time sheet...

But this was the start of it...When i first took up the game one thing that he said to me stuck fast...

"Your taking it up at a young enough age to make a decent player of yourself...Use your time well..Get to the club at least a half hour before your tee off and get yourself comfortable..Practice your chipping and putting for at least 20 mins before the off...Do your bit during the week and you'll learn the game better and be better at it"

But....If we get there early he's rushing us out onto the first tee if there's an opening because of someone being a few mins late or so...

Anyway i was playing well turned with 17 points, out of one on the front 9 and i was playing pretty well...I 2 putted all the greens that i played on the front 9. my putter was serving me well.

Cue the 13th par 3...Today playing 188mtrs into breeze i hit my 3 hybrid just off the toe but it left me with about 20mtrs of a pitch which i left 3 foot short but above the hole...Missed the par and walked off with a bogie....

Then i was told that i was taking too long over my putts..(no longer than my front 9 all 2 putted)...thats apparently why i didnt get my par
Well then there was a few words exchanged..."I wasnt aware i was being timed".....
After that there was an awkward silence for the remainder of the round but i blobbed 2 on the back 9 also and finished with 32 points....

I dont really let things annoy me but this morning did and i felt i might have brought in a decent score if i wasnt holding conversations with myself over shots...

The ironic thing is that i took up the game so i could spend some more time with my dad like he did with me in my younger years..After all he's not getting any younger but how on earth can i get him to mellow out...

The worst thing is that its affecting his game as well...
He play's off 14 and i know that he means well but i play a different game to him...Im always reading up on stuff trying to get better always looking to do the right thing ...

Whereas he's more of a get up and hit it mentality and just go find it...

Who's wrong :D

Rant over :(

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
sounds like your dad knows you only too well,Im the same age
as your dad and we think a little sarcasm just hits those
buttons beautifully,its not gamesmanship,its just simples..

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
hmmm I used to have a simmilar problem. My dad is a simmilar age and also plays off 14 I have been playing last 2 years or so and I liked the idea of spending more time with him. He used to be constantly giving me advice on the course to the point where I had no idea what I supposed to do anymore as alot of it was conflicting with what I was reading/learning.

After one round we were back home eating a take away and I just told him straight please don't tell me anything about mechanics or my swing while we are on the course. I know you want to help but save it for later and I will listen and we can discuss it.

Not sure if your Dad will be as receptive but for me it worked great we play the game he still gives me the odd tip on hole layout as we always play his home club but otherwise he waits until later to discuss my overall game or club selection.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brookie,
His round wasnt going great in fairness but i know in my heart and soul that it was down to him getting worked up...
We were'nt playing against each other..It was just a qualifier...

After he had said he'll keep his mouth shut in future thats when the awkward silence started...

I played football with the attitude that what happened on the pitch stayed on the pitch...
And i play my golf the same way...
I dont hold anything against him and its not as if we've fallen out...But id like to learn the game my way and make my own mistakes...I know he plays lower than my and he's playing a lot longer but i take most advice with a pinch of salt....Unless the person thats advising me is an exceptionally good player...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
hmmm I used to have a simmilar problem. My dad is a simmilar age and also plays off 14 I have been playing last 2 years or so and I liked the idea of spending more time with him. He used to be constantly giving me advice on the course to the point where I had no idea what I supposed to do anymore as alot of it was conflicting with what I was reading/learning.

Thats like a mirror image of me mate...
The game is changing so much that some of what he tells me i know is completely wrong from reading so much about it.
I just nod and say no problem...And do my own thing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Fathers generally know sh*t about golf, especially if they are playing off 14. Take it with a pinch of salt and play your own game.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If anyone offers me advice on the course, I'll politely ask them to refrain. During a round is not a place to start changing things.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a lot you can do. Most fathers wouldn't really take on board your views, as they probably think it is for your own good.

The only thing you can do is get a bit of independence. Get to the club under your own steam (if you can) so you can get your practice in and look to play with a few other people too.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a lot you can do. Most fathers wouldn't really take on board your views, as they probably think it is for your own good.

The only thing you can do is get a bit of independence. Get to the club under your own steam (if you can) so you can get your practice in and look to play with a few other people too.

Therein lies a slight problem HRC....He only lives across the road from me...I didnt fly far from the nest...It would be a waste to take both cars considering were living so close...Plus i dont really want to distance myself totally either.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Listen mate count yourself lucky. I lost my dad nearly 8 years ago and we didn't get to play nearly as much golf together as we should have. Put it down to a bad day but perhaps invite him out one night for a quick pint and have a chat about "his issues" as he sees them with pace of play etc and see if you can get some common ground before you next play

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Listen mate count yourself lucky. I lost my dad nearly 8 years ago and we didn't get to play nearly as much golf together as we should have. Put it down to a bad day but perhaps invite him out one night for a quick pint and have a chat about "his issues" as he sees them with pace of play etc and see if you can get some common ground before you next play

Homer me ol mate ....I agree with you fully....Thats why im trying to spend as much time with him as i can......I know its easy for the ineveitable to happen....

If im honest i was taking maybe an extra few seconds over the ball than i normally do but it seemed to be working this morning...Thats why i was reluctant to change it during the round.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
He's not going to change, so take it with a pinch of salt and get on with it. Mind you at 60 he's not a fossil yet, so don't be so cheeky about age, or a certain left handed golfer will be after you. ;)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's not going to change, so take it with a pinch of salt and get on with it. Mind you at 60 he's not a fossil yet, so don't be so cheeky about age, or a certain left handed golfer will be after you. ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

Not being cheeky rich....He's just very set in his ways but as Homer has said....A middle ground needs to be found.....