Open stance with a driver

luke123

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have been having terrible problems with a massive slice lately everybody who I have met and played with comments on my good swing and posture but have been slicing the driver for a month or two now.

One old boy on the course I was playing with told me to put my left foot back on setup, I'm not sure if this is open stance as my right foot is still straight but its working a treat. done my longest drive @ 280 yard and dead straight I can get a little draw if I try everything seems brilliant BUT am i getting into a bad habbit that will be hard to shack off? I know some will say if it works etc etc but I don't want it hiding the original fault if that makes sense

D

Deleted member 18121

Bringing your left foot back (for a right hander) allows your hips to turn more easily during the down swing allowing you to get through the ball. It's a simple trick that's worked for me in the past and that I also use now if I want to hit a draw with my driver.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bringing your left foot back (for a right hander) allows your hips to turn more easily during the down swing allowing you to get through the ball. It's a simple trick that's worked for me in the past and that I also use now if I want to hit a draw with my driver.

If it's merely to encourage/allow the hips to turn better, then opening the left foot (rightee) 20-30 degrees should suffice.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought that simply helped promote more of a fade/slice, where as the right foot (RH) 6" back helped promote the down-swing come through on the inside, and in doing so, promote the straight one/draw?

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought that simply helped promote more of a fade/slice, where as the right foot (RH) 6" back helped promote the down-swing come through on the inside, and in doing so, promote the straight one/draw?

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert!!

Try Googling 'open left foot golf swing'!

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try Googling 'open left foot golf swing'!

That'll be useful for the OP I presume.

Once saw a drill whereby the same philosophy was being encouraged as a practise routine to get 'that hip clearing feeling' prior to a tee shot (or any shot) but the pro wasn't encouraging the same set up for the actual shot - it was purely to try and get the mindset/body programmed into turning the right hip through.

I'll be buggered if I can remember where I saw it, mind...

D

Deleted member 18121

If it's merely to encourage/allow the hips to turn better, then opening the left foot (rightee) 20-30 degrees should suffice.

Less so, but yes that follows what a pro told me.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or perhaps you were set up closed and by pulling your left foot back it lined you up straight? I know that's what I slip into.

Or, as suggested, it's helping you clear your hips.

Glad it's working though. If your hitting it well, stick with it :) :)