OOB inline with stakes?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit a drive today which flew out of bounds then faded back in, or so I thought. When I got to my ball it was dead inline with the white stakes. One of my playing partners said it was out if on the line, I'm not so sure as I thought this situation came up in the Open and it was said that if the ball was touching the line it was in. I went back and played another one but it screwed my concentration and I ended up carding a 10 and ruining a fairly good round.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hit a drive today which flew out of bounds then faded back in, or so I thought. When I got to my ball it was dead inline with the white stakes. One of my playing partners said it was out if on the line, I'm not so sure as I thought this situation came up in the Open and it was said that if the ball was touching the line it was in. I went back and played another one but it screwed my concentration and I ended up carding a 10 and ruining a fairly good round.

The whole ball has to be out of bounds, your partner was wrong.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Out of Bounds is defined from the inside of the post (or line) outwards, so 'on the line is out of bounds as are the stakes'. However, as stated above, all the ball must be out of bounds for it to be OB so if any part of the ball is not, then the ball is in bounds. I suspect that 'dead in line with the white stakes' meant that the ball was indeed Out of Bounds - stakes tend to be wider than a ball.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of Bounds is defined from the inside of the post (or line) outwards, so 'on the line is out of bounds as are the stakes'. However, as stated above, all the ball must be out of bounds for it to be OB so if any part of the ball is not, then the ball is in bounds. I suspect that 'dead in line with the white stakes' meant that the ball was indeed Out of Bounds - stakes tend to be wider than a ball.

Yes that was the case, thanks for clearing that up.