One Piece Takeaway

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Chronic wrist roller and overswinger here

Had a lesson and the lad would give me the feeling of the takeaway and where I should end the backswing ... take home notes were practice one piece takeaway and the backswing keep it short and wide

However despite maintaining the takeaway easily I struggled massively trying to keep it short and wide, when videoing practice the right elbow would fly the left arm bend and overswing persisted no matter how short I tried to keep it... I knew the position I should be aiming to get to but could i hell find a way to get there by myself

Then by chance I watched a rotary swing video that was on my YouTube you might like this list ... It was backswing lesson with someone with similar problems as me. They spent a third of it talking about the takeaway maintaining that triangle then he said “once you’re there (hands past the right thigh) just elevate your arms”... BOOM it was like a eureka moment for me

It feels absolutely mental but it works I’ve checked on videos ... basically feels like if I was standing on a floor with a compass drawn on it I’m chucking the club in a north easterly direction ... the rotation of the body as I swing back gives the depth

my understanding of the golf swing was to swing it flat around my body :LOL: i know people can play like this but it caused me no end of consistency of strike issues

Still struggling with full shots at the moment on the course as when swinging full and having targets to aim at old habits can quickly take ocet

but this feeling on shorter shots has me nipping pitches and chips like a tour pro

Tl:dr ... takeaway wasn’t the be all and end all to my problems
As Jensen would tell you, what you are doing now is performing a "two plane" swing, as described by Jim Hardy in his book "The Plane Truth". Jim's teaching says that there are two basic ways to swing. In the one plane swing, at the top, the arms & shoulders are on the same plane, as per Kuchar & Els. In a two plane swing the arms are on a much steeper plane, think of Bubba & Mickelson. Hardy says that the fundamentals of these swings are completely different, which is why a lot of the advice you read in magazines appears to conflict. In Hardy's view, the one plane swing needs more flexibility in the body but leads to more accuracy whereas the two plane swing is more suited to less fit individuals but gives less accurate results because the clubface opens & closes much more during the swing. This is the reason Bubba & Phil rarely hit it straight. Hardy's books are well worth a read - you'll never look at a pro again without asking yourself "is he one plane or two?"

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spent ages trying to improve my swing by focusing on a one piece takeaway. However, it simply did not work for me.

I actually found the single most helpful video and feel to be the Monte Scheinblum “no turn cast” drill.

It’s advocating a feel that is the complete opposite of a one piece takeaway. But for me, like monte says, it delivers exactly what we’re all striving for including those that advocate the one piece takeaway; connection between the arms and the body.

The one piece takeaway feel didn’t work for me, it actually made me less connected.

D

Deleted member 23344

BobMac, you make no mention of the hands. In particular not rolling the forearms/wrists or separating arms from the body.
DRW, you are right regards maintaining the triangle.
See the video below which explains it beautifully

Tried this a few times today when playing ... imagining the tee in the butt end of club and touching the trousers with tee in order to keep the hands nearer the body ... a few bad shots because it felt odd, but quite a few really good ones. I think I will practice it on the range until it feels more natural and then try it again on the course for a whole round ... see what impact it has. First impressions seem favourable though.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, I played today and worked on the one piece takeaway whilst turning my shoulders at 90 degrees to my spine. Wow what a difference, the sound/feel and distance was a big difference.
OK I only scored 28 points, but I'm not bothered as the ball striking was great.
Certainly things to work on most importantly keeping those shoulders turning at 90 degrees to my spine angle.
Very pleased and feeling optimistic

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, I played on Saturday and on the 10th hit an absolute horrendous shot with my 4 iron. Without realising I fanned the club open on the way back, causing me to swing far too flat - the result was a shot that flew 60 degrees to the right. Not quite a shank but the face was way open it merely glanced the ball sending it right.
Been thinking about this and some of the drills Eric Cogorno mentioned on YouTube. So today I bought a small kids plastic football that has a printed logo on. The drill is to place the ball between the forearms, above the wrists, whilst holding a club. The drill is to take the club away but ensuring the logo is pointing in the same direction when it gets to nearly parralel as it was at address, this ensures the forearms don't roll.

Depreston, note this may help you.

A previous Pro told me long ago to stop rolling the wrists in the takeaway and focus on the wrists. However I don't think this is quite correct as the forearm is a larger muscle and without realising it's easy to roll the forearms while focusing solely on the wrists.
By ensuring the forearms don't roll until nearly past parralel this causes the shoulders to turn on a steeper angle than otherwise that I did and leads to a wider arc. The swing feels far more powerful and controlled.

Personally, I think that all the instructions that I have read, seen and to an extent told solely about the wrists have been misguided. Eric Cogorno refers a lot to over forearm rotation as the cause.
Eric - I think I'm in love 👌

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just realise Friday my OPT is rubbish.

Thankfully had a eureka moment and it’s popped back into my game.

I was one piecing too straight (outside really) and too steep.

Switch to more neutral (feels inside) and flatter gave me a powerful strike.

Had a tendency to go left a touch now but at least starts right rather than go straight and hook. Before it was start right and slice or hook.

Contact, ball flight and consistency all improved.

My fear now is it goes too far inside and I go back to my hooky days.