One Piece Takeaway

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I prefer the two piece, Chicken Tikka Masala & Pilau rice.

On a more serious note, John Jacobs, in "Play Better Golf" says to start the backswing by turning the right shoulder away from the ball & letting the hands "give" when they want to. It's quite a natural thing to do, which I think is a good idea for us normal humans who don't have the time or inclination to practise a lot.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
It's been the single biggest change i've made in 30 years of playing. A one piece takeaway and the realisation that the club head should remain on plane with your spine angle.

By comparison, my previous swing would fan the club open somewhat on my backswing, creating a cut. I now hit a draw.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's been the single biggest change i've made in 30 years of playing. A one piece takeaway and the realisation that the club head should remain on plane with your spine angle.

Yant, this is something I've tried working on, but I now think the penny may have dropped.
Do you now find that compared to your previous swing it makes your shoulders turn on a steeper Plane naturally ?
This in turn creates more width

D

Deleted member 21258

I thought the one piece takeaway, was maintaining the triangle between your arms and shoulders and they all turn together.:unsure:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try this.....
Take up your address position but hold the club well down the shaft so the grip is pressed into your stomach and the club-head off the ground.
Now make the first 3-4 feet of your swing. The grip should still be pressed into the same spot.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Yant, this is something I've tried working on, but I now think the penny may have dropped.
Do you now find that compared to your previous swing it makes your shoulders turn on a steeper Plane naturally ?
This in turn creates more width

Not sure about a steeper plane for your shoulders (not sure what that really means) but a one piece takeaway (which, in my humble opinion only helps to simplify an already complicated process to master) naturally leads to width. However, if you are swinging correctly and your body doesn't over-compensate, then you should only be able to achieve so much width anyway.

My swing thought for the last 2 years has been;

"one movement away from the ball starting with the shoulders"
"don't fan the club head open and maintain it's natural angle"

The best analogy to use is a hula hoop. If you stand up straight and put a hula hoop around your mid-drift and hold out a golf club at the same time, then turn, the club head would be in a natural position pointing straight up at the sky. Now bend from the waist and you should see that, if you have not manipulated the club head as you have bent from the waist then the club head will not be pointing directly up. It will be at the same angle as your spine. If you can do this when you swing then the club will be on plane and not open.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea. I tend to push my hands slightly forward before swinging back (stole it from DJ, lol) to try and add more wrist hinge, so I imagine that is entirely at odds with this.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
BobMac, you make no mention of the hands. In particular not rolling the forearms/wrists or separating arms from the body.

Patrick asked for a simple explanation of the one piece take away in post no. 5
I replied with what I consider a simple explanation.
Explaining what not to do would only complicate matters I feel

Last edited:

dronfield

Visit site
I thought the one piece takeaway, was maintaining the triangle between your arms and shoulders and they all turn together.:unsure:
This is what i thought it meant - think Leadbetter promoted this in the first Faldo video he did, and also in his Golf Swing book, circa 1989/90.

Rich