One for carpenters or joiners out there - materials

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to build project cars in my garage but lost my mojo for it so decided to rejig the whole thing. Out have gone the lift and the cranes and the jacks et al and in has come a router table, table saw, pillar drill and many other goodies. It seems that my desire to build things is coming out in the form of woodworking (or I am just getting old)
So, I have built loads of workbenches and tables for the garage but only ever using CLS and MDF for cheapness and the fact they will get abused.
But, I now want to do my first proper project, a bespoke bookcase for the wife.
I have drawn up all the plans and know what I need and this is where I have hit a dead end.

Ideally, I want to use Oak veneer plywood in 3/4" and 1/4" sheets but for the life of me I cannot find anywhere that sells it locally.
Internet searched throw up a few merchants but delivery is not an option to Fife for any of the ones I have found.
Can anyone help or does anyone have a source for such material?

Cheers

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
or use a decent soft wood with maybe an oak cover fillet,and stain it properly with various coats etc,wire wool to knock the snots off between coats.

greg from sussex lol

oh if you ve havnt bought a biscuit jointer the do so.and also take a looksie at gorrilla glue.i use it all the time now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
By some plywood; buy some oak veneer - and stick it on. Well that's what my dad used to do - though he was a cabinet-maker. He also wouldn't have used plywood for a piece of furniture - plywood is for carpenters and joiners and houses.