Olympic Gold = Majors exemptions

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it the Top 3 in the WR from each country qualifying for the Olympics ?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
That's a very canny move to hopefully build on the potentially raised profile at The Olympics. The liklihood is the Gold medal winners would qualify anyway but great to be proactive on this rather than having to react to a potentially embarrassing situation of them not qualifying :thup:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it the Top 3 in the WR from each country qualifying for the Olympics ?

From the IGF:
[h=2][/h]The IOC has restricted the IGF to an Olympic field of 60 players for each of the men’s and women’s competition. The IGF will utilise the official world golf rankings to create the Olympic golf rankings as a method of determining eligibility. The top-15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympics, with a limit of four players from a given country. Beyond the top-15, players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top-15.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Do we really think that one of the big boys won't win and therefore they will already have qualified for the four majors because of their World ranking?

There's a lot of golf to be crammed in around this time, and it's a new course. Depends on how seriously the big boys take it, but I could easy see a 'lesser' winner(s).

D

Deleted member 15344

Will be interesting to see how many outside of the Top 50 play

Such a shame they didn't allow only Amatuers to play but that boat sailed a long time ago

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This year, as an example, Ian Poulter has only qualified for the Masters this week. That means if he doesn't play well at the Masters this year, he might not get into any more majors this year or next. If he wins in the Olympics, he wins those exemptions. I think that there are a few surprising names not yet eligible to compete in all the majors.

Not saying he'll be picked for the Olympics but you get my point.

D

Deleted member 15344

Usain Bolt is the biggest draw at the Olympics. He's not an amateur so why should golf be any different. The Olympics is about the best sports people competing.

Or should we rethink the whole of the athletics, tennis and basketball competitions?

For me when a sportsman or women competes at the Olympics it should be the pinnacle of that sport

For sports like

Tennis , Golf , Football , Basketball it isn't so for me who plays at the Olympics in those sports should be limited maybe by age ( which they do in football ) or even have Amatuers playing

The Olympics for me is the Premier Sporting event

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
For me when a sportsman or women competes at the Olympics it should be the pinnacle of that sport

For sports like

Tennis , Golf , Football , Basketball it isn't so for me who plays at the Olympics in those sports should be limited maybe by age ( which they do in football ) or even have Amatuers playing

The Olympics for me is the Premier Sporting event

Exactly it will never be more than a side show with golf they missed the chance to create something that was really big in the amateur game.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Got to disagree with you guys here. I don't watch Olympic Football but I do watch Olympic Basketball. I only watch Olympic boxing finals if we are in contention for a medal but I do watch Olympic tennis rounds. I do watch Olympic Cycling and I will be watching Olympic Golf. I want to see the best people competing. And in terms of it falling down the list of being the pinnacle of achievement have a chat to Roger Federer about what Olympic Gold would mean for him...

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
the olympics are now becoming a joke .on the one hand you have the amateurs all competing in their respective sports ,and on the other hand ,you have pro`s taking part . it should be all one ,not a mixture of both . the original ideal was amateur ,but as usual the dreaded chase for the coin has interfeared with its model.it is now just a money spinner for whichever country is hosting .

D

Deleted member 15344

Got to disagree with you guys here. I don't watch Olympic Football but I do watch Olympic Basketball. I only watch Olympic boxing finals if we are in contention for a medal but I do watch Olympic tennis rounds. I do watch Olympic Cycling and I will be watching Olympic Golf. I want to see the best people competing. And in terms of it falling down the list of being the pinnacle of achievement have a chat to Roger Federer about what Olympic Gold would mean for him...

But does Federer hold the Olympic medal higher than any of his slams ?

Does Murray hold his higher than his Wimbledon ?

If you give any tennis player a choice of winning a slam or an Olympic title - I would be genuinely surprised if people picked the Olympic medal ( maybe Federer does )

Basketball - NBA finals or Olympic Gold ?

Cycling for track I believe it is their pinnacle of their sport.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
But does Federer hold the Olympic medal higher than any of his slams ?

Does Murray hold his higher than his Wimbledon ?

If you give any tennis player a choice of winning a slam or an Olympic title - I would be genuinely surprised if people picked the Olympic medal ( maybe Federer does )

Basketball - NBA finals or Olympic Gold ?

Cycling for track I believe it is their pinnacle of their sport.

Completely agree. Tell any tennis player they will only ever win 1 of the slams or the olympics. Olympics would come a very distant fifth, if it got a single vote at all. Same with golf. And in a nutshell, that is why those sports shouldnt be in the Olympics.

I think professionals should be allowed to compete in the Olympics, provided it is the ultimate pinnacle of their sport (i.e. athletics, swimming, track cycling.) Other than that, if sports want Olympic status then IMO they should only be open to amateurs.

I love the Olympics, it's the only time in 4 years I will watch sports such as rowing, hockey, kayaking etc. I never watch any of the football or tennis. I'll probably watch the final round of the golf if I am not doing anything else, out of curiosity more than anything else. It could have been the great amateur tournament!