Olympic Gold = Majors exemptions

D

Deleted member 15344

Completely agree. Tell any tennis player they will only ever win 1 of the slams or the olympics. Olympics would come a very distant fifth, if it got a single vote at all. Same with golf. And in a nutshell, that is why those sports shouldnt be in the Olympics.

I think professionals should be allowed to compete in the Olympics, provided it is the ultimate pinnacle of their sport (i.e. athletics, swimming, track cycling.) Other than that, if sports want Olympic status then IMO they should only be open to amateurs.

I love the Olympics, it's the only time in 4 years I will watch sports such as rowing, hockey, kayaking etc. I never watch any of the football or tennis. I'll probably watch the final round of the golf if I am not doing anything else, out of curiosity more than anything else. It could have been the great amateur tournament!

Exactly that for me as well - when it came to the 2012 tickets the ones that were available all the way to the end were things like the football tournament and tennis tournament

I was lucky to be there with England Hockey and it was an amazing time - unlike any other sporting occasion. The crowds for the "non headline sports" were brilliant - the atmosphere at places like Horses Guard for the beach volleyball was brilliant - even the dressage was superb atmosphere.

I will watch the golf because I'm a golfer but it won't be as religiously as the Open or the RC - it's behind all four majors and RC for me

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the fact that the Olympic event is a strokeplay, 72 hole event is a bore fest. They should have made it interesting with matchplay, or some strokeplay to qualify for matchplay. Something completely different to the normal weeks of golf we see week in, week out.

Oh, and it should have been amateurs!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
the fact that the Olympic event is a strokeplay, 72 hole event is a bore fest. They should have made it interesting with matchplay, or some strokeplay to qualify for matchplay. Something completely different to the normal weeks of golf we see week in, week out.

Oh, and it should have been amateurs!

36 hole medal and then matchplay would have been brilliant. It is what it is though. Not sure golf, certainly professional golf, has a place at the olympics, and both seemed to get by without each other for long enough