Olive oil & Balsamic Vinegar

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i am thinking of getting some posh OO + vinegar for dipping. During the old travelling days, whenever i was with my Italian colleagues, the amount of fuss they made about vinegar in UK restaurant was unreal. Too much snobbery.
Thinking of dipping my toe (sorry bread) in it. Any recommendations

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get to a farmers market or food festival, they usually have a few stalls where you can try different stuff. I would stay away from the flavoured ones as they can taste quite artificial

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not fussed either way with Balsamic but love olive oil, especially a good one. We get through loads of the stuff, and not just for dipping. We also use it for cooking things like patatas a la pobres. Favourite oil, Oro del Desierto. https://orodeldesierto.com/en/

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You can't beat a good combo of the above with a tasty Burgundy or Sauvignon (y)
I trust you don't 'mix' (serve/consume together) Balsamic (or any kind of) vinegar with wine - particularly Sauvignon (Blanc)! Fastest way to destroy the wine's flavour imo!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All I know about olive oil is that you should try to find one that is pitted before it's pressed. I got that tip from a Patricia Cornwall Kay Scarpetta book.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I trust you don't 'mix' (serve/consume together) Balsamic (or any kind of) vinegar with wine - particularly Sauvignon (Blanc)! Fastest way to destroy the wine's flavour imo!
I don’t know, a nice bottle of Montrachet sets off my fish and chips beautifully

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don’t know, a nice bottle of Montrachet sets off my fish and chips beautifully
There CAN be occasional exceptions.
And a nice bottle of Montrachet would likely set any meal off beautifully! Meal not actually required either!!