Older Shafts

chipping

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi All,
Can you tell me if older steel shafts loose any performance flex etc, can they rust internally and become ineffective.
I have been offered some Ping Zing 2`s they are about 10 years old with the original Ping shafts, are they worth a punt or do I walk away.
Thanks.

Mawgan

Club Champion
Visit site
Metal shafts must degrade with time. My Mizunos are 16 years old (I'm just returning to golf) and I can hear the rust running up and down the shafts of some of the irons as I lift them! However, they still seem to biff the ball down range, and so if your Pings appeal, why not go for them...?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Inevitably shafts change with age. Given that they are constantly flexed in use, they will work harden, and become stiffer, and tired.

Personally, I would look for something younger, but of similar quality. That said, if the previous owner played 30 rounds a year, they are less lkely to be jaded than someone like me, who plays 4 times a week, 200 rounds a year.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert....but I changed the shafts on my Tommy Armour 845s 3 times (at least) over the years.

In theory, if they don't get wet and/or bent/bashed, they might be OK, but t.b.h i.m.h.o. don't bother, or buy with the intention of putting some lovely new ones on.

I know of few guys with classic pings.....I'm sure they'll be re-shafted sets though....

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
There will always be some air moisture finding its way into shafts and over time they do deteriorate but as far as Im concerned, unless you keep clubs for a lot of years you will be lucky if you notice any difference, changing all the shafts to me is a bit daft, you may as well save up while you have them, pay a bit extra and buy new.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
because you can't exclude air from the shaft you cannot avoid condensation on the inside at some time in its life. this generally has nowhere to go, although, if your clubs are stored out of the cold for an extended period, it might drain from the butt; chances are you'll never know as this will be inside your bag.

if you are concerned about the effects that this might have you could use a silicone oil or other water dispersing spray through the hole in the end of the grip. whether this would reach all the parts is another matter as is whether, as with new cars left on outside lots when awaiting sale, it's all too late.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Essentially Steel shafts get stiffer over time & Graphite shafts get softer over time.

Steel does corrode. And can do so from the inside out, so unlikely to see any damage occuring before its too late. Metal can also become brittle too over time as well as stiffer.

Having said all this my other half had a graphite shaft collaps on her during a backswing, so graphite can also become brittle over time too. It was her favorite fairway wood too.