Older irons opinions.....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all, if you would be so kind I'm looking for some help.

Whilst my beloved Cleveland blades have done the trick in terms of me working out I needed a stiffer shaft than an r300, I have to be realistic and try to make things a little easier on myself.

I am looking at (this may be the wrong term) "players cavity backs". I don't like big, GI clubheads or much offset but need a bit more forgiveness than I'm currently getting.

Now, we're planning on moving house this year and also another kid likely next year so I'm looking for something cheap (i.e. a few years old) and cheerful to do me a year or 2 until we see where we are and whilst I'm going to be playing a bit less.

I've been looking at second hand clubs and have come across the following. As they're a few years old anyone any experience or thoughts on them?

Titleist 690/695cb
Titleist 735 combo
Cobra Carbon (?) and Forged CBs
Taylormade RAC TP Forged
Mizuno MP60
Callaway X Forged

Not too urgent but any thoughts you have on these or any other irons would be appreciated, or if you have any older clubs you want to sell let me know.

Thanks in advance

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Taylor Mades,and Mizuno's are certainly worth a look.They will be much easier to hit than the Clevelands,and you'll still be hitting similar distance's and be able to work the ball.HTH's

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From Cleveland Blade to Callaway X,thats quite a transition.Looks,can be almost as important as feel and ease of use in an iron.I personally think these two are like chalk and cheese,or should that be beauty and the beast. :D

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
From Cleveland Blade to Callaway X,thats quite a transition.Looks,can be almost as important as feel and ease of use in an iron.I personally think these two are like chalk and cheese,or should that be beauty and the beast. :D

Thankz for your posts mungoscorner.

You've hit the nail on the head here. I really don't like looking at a big shovel clubhead with offset and a massive thick topline.

I must say I'm erring toward the TM's....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Xforged is a far better looking iron than you are giving it credit for imo, have used them for several years and still seen nothing on the market, in a forged head, that has forgiveness and a decent look

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cobra Pro CB are very nice, and come with Project X shafts as standard, which may be a bonus, if they suit you.

These are the best looking clubs i've seen! Would love to pick up a set but cost, from the ones i can find, is proving an obstacle as i'm trying to get some cheapo irons really.

The carbon cb's look fairly similar and have good reviews, them and the tm rac tp's are frontrunners at the moment.......

I played titleist blades for years and needed a bit of help but still look like a blade from the players perspective, along came Mizuno T Zoid pro's, now had them 8 years - worth looking at and prob quite cheap 2 nd hand now.