Olden golden days

D

Deleted member 21258

Thank goodness for more golf courses being built.;)

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I played in metal spikes last weekend, there's no golfing sound like the noise they make on hard surfacing, I used to love unwrapping a new ball (when I could afford a box)
Yep I've played this winter in metal spikes too. As a cricketer, always felt much more comfortable in spikes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yep I've played this winter in metal spikes too. As a cricketer, always felt much more comfortable in spikes.
same here, always wore metal in winter, but found the spike ices up very quickly, so you are walking around like you were a member of Slade circa 1973. soft spike for me now

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wore metal spikes for 9 holes few years ago and won't do it again. Could see tracks as I walked on the greens.

sunshine

Visit site

I had a round a few weeks ago where somebody ahead of me was wearing metal spikes. You could see the marks all over the green and on the tees, no wonder so many courses banned them. Greenkeepers must be thankful for soft spikes and spikeless shoes.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I had a round a few weeks ago where somebody ahead of me was wearing metal spikes. You could see the marks all over the green and on the tees, no wonder so many courses banned them. Greenkeepers must be thankful for soft spikes and spikeless shoes.
Do you think they do any real damage? Especially in winter when most greens have been cored etc?

sunshine

Visit site
Do you think they do any real damage? Especially in winter when most greens have been cored etc?

Superficial damage. Enough to make a putt bobble, enough to make a golfer moan about the bumpy greens, enough to give visitors the impression that a course is not well presented.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

They are brutal. I wore them for 9 holes a few years aga. Chewed the greens up something awful. I can only imagine what it must have been like back in the day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a pair of adizeros with metal spikes they are brilliant .
I only use them on the practice range , as the marks they leave on the greens is horrendous.