Olden golden days

D

Deleted member 16999

Ball shoots by the first tee, although some clubs may well still use them.
Sand boxes on the tee, not that I ever saw anyone build a little sand tee.
Large floppy tongues on golf shoes.
Hip flasks. Once upon a time quite a few Sunday fourballs would have one.
Apart from the sand box, you’ve just described most of the 4 balls last weekend at Seaham. :)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ball washers on every tee full of clean water.

Proper spike bars where you opened the door to let the smoke out and a s wear box would have been overflowing within a few hours. The one at shooters hill was always packed and you would look across to the lounge bar to see only a few old duffers in jackets.

The shower room also had complimentary soft fluffy towels, not that I ever went up there.

Wolf

Visit site
My original Wilson Firestick 3 wood with a head the size of soup spoon...

My dad's hand me down TM Flex Twist driver.

Having to play with ladies clubs because I wasn't tall enough to use mens clubs :ROFLMAO:

Nicking my dad's Balata balls out of his bag.

Spending my junior winnings on Precept EV's.

As junior being allowed in the stud bar or locker room only, prank calling home from the payphone to let my parents know I was ready to come home.

Seeing the old boys with their specific glasses behind the bar and sitting drinking in their blazers with their club ties.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I'm really not sure golf was that much better in the old days, the exclusivity and stuffiness of a lot of golf clubs has put so many people off over the years. For me, it's remembering the guys I used to play with, and see around the club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember waiting outside our favourite course at 5am to book a tee time for the following week as you’d never get a time if you called up

That still happens in part at our club. They queue up at 5am on Saturday/Sunday to get a game on the day where I play.

The members voted against using computer booking for the weekends twice.

This time it is being brought in without consulting the members because of the abuse the starter has been receiving.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I'm learning from this thread is that golf used to be a hell of a lot more popular than it is now by the sounds of it! Having to book an entire week in advance, getting there at 4am to put your ball in a chute, bloody hell. Nowadays you can book Thursday or Friday and get the time you want or near it on Saturday.

When I started it must only have been about 2000 or 2001 I think. My first adult set a couple of years later was a Slazenger starter set, D, 3W, 5W, 3-9 irons, PW, SW, putter. I managed to sell that set this time last year for 50 quid. :LOL:

The fashions were just about starting to change around that time I recall. The first pair of shoes I had was an old rigid work shoe type with metal spikes, but then my dad bought me a nice white pair of Adidas ones with rubber spikes which were a relatively new concept.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What I'm learning from this thread is that golf used to be a hell of a lot more popular than it is now by the sounds of it! Having to book an entire week in advance, getting there at 4am to put your ball in a chute, bloody hell. Nowadays you can book Thursday or Friday and get the time you want or near it on Saturday.

When I started it must only have been about 2000 or 2001 I think. My first adult set a couple of years later was a Slazenger starter set, D, 3W, 5W, 3-9 irons, PW, SW, putter. I managed to sell that set this time last year for 50 quid. :LOL:

The fashions were just about starting to change around that time I recall. The first pair of shoes I had was an old rigid work shoe type with metal spikes, but then my dad bought me a nice white pair of Adidas ones with rubber spikes which were a relatively new concept.

some clubs still do, remember playing at Leven about 5 years ago and they queued up at silly oclock for the next weeks tee times, at ours you have to book a sat morning time at least two weeks in advance to get out before 11am. though not as bad as it used to be in the 80's i remember my bother going to play batchwood with his mates at they had to be there at 6/7am at the weekend to even get out .. no booking

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
some clubs still do, remember playing at Leven about 5 years ago and they queued up at silly oclock for the next weeks tee times, at ours you have to book a sat morning time at least two weeks in advance to get out before 11am. though not as bad as it used to be in the 80's i remember my bother going to play batchwood with his mates at they had to be there at 6/7am at the weekend to even get out .. no booking
I expect my experiences are different as we usually play as late as possible as we're not morning people. So this time of year we're booking at middayish. In summer we'll happily tee off 2-3pm. It's only really in comps when I play comp times that we have to go out at about 9:40ish, ha.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Popped into Painswick GC for a bite to eat while on my travels last week and picked up one of their scorecards to look at. Delighted and surprised to see that was still a 7/8 handicap matrix on the back. Remember that from stablefords of old?
It got me thinking about the things that are different now from when I started playing. So far I’ve got -
Waterproof suits that were nowhere near waterproof
Balls individually wrapped in crinkly paper
Paying your annual subs in one go, by cheque, on time. No monthly direct debits and I’m not sure about credit cards either(?)
The clack of metal spikes on the patio
Banging your shoes against a wall to get mud off - no compressed air machines

I’m sure there’s dozens more.

I played in metal spikes last weekend, there's no golfing sound like the noise they make on hard surfacing, I used to love unwrapping a new ball (when I could afford a box)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I expect my experiences are different as we usually play as late as possible as we're not morning people. So this time of year we're booking at middayish. In summer we'll happily tee off 2-3pm. It's only really in comps when I play comp times that we have to go out at about 9:40ish, ha.

most places around here you can take your pick afternoon, everyone want to play AM, only time i play afternoon is during the week after work sometimes;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Orikoru,
Back in the 80’s stablefords for some reason were often played off 7/8 of your handicap instead of the full we use now. As very few people knew their 7/8 table clubs used to print a matrix on the back of the scorecard so you would look up your handicap and alongside was its 7/8 equivalent rounded accordingly so 10 became 9; 16 became 14, 20 became 18 etc. I think it was mainly to keep low handicaps happy or less unhappy by lopping a shot or two off the rest of us. 4 and under didn’t lose a shot

The reason for the adjustment was because you were handicapped to your medal performance in those days. If you had a couple of 10s each round they would be reflected in your handicap. The effect of this was that all types of high handicappers stood a reasonable chance in a medal competition, but some had a huge advantage in stableford events.

The adjustment was intended to balance that, and based on results it did the job.

Currently we are handicapped to our stableford capability, but the better golfers are simply left with an advantage in medal rather than any adjustments 🤣