Old hole rule ?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
In our place when they change the holes they fill the hole with a plastic filler thing , now im aware if this is on the line of my putt i can raise it or lower it to the level of the putting surface , question i have is, some of these plastic covers (for want of a better word) have cracks or holes in them that will definatly affect the roll of the putt, provided they are flush with the putting surface.. am i allowed relief from these as a general rule or does it have to be a local rule .. I reckon it has to be a local rule as not many clubs can have such crappy fillers but ive been told twice its a rule , one guy told me he was shown it in the book but he cant remember where , advice guys , please & thanks

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just looked in the rules. Nothing about hole fillers. But it must be an immoveable obstruction. Therefore lift and place, at the nearest point of releaf. This may be off the green as well.

cheezburga

Club Champion
Visit site
It's artificial therefore an obstruction, If considered immovable then there's relief. If considered moveable then when its moved, there's a hole made by a greenkeeper - and so relief. Ergo, in equity - relief. No local rule required.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you should check with your Sectretary about whether there is a local Rule about the status of these.

The hole filler could be regarded as an immovable obstruction or abnormal gorund condition (e.g. GUR) in which case under Rules 24-2 or 25-1 you would be entitled to relief if it interferes with the line of your putt if your ball is on the green (if your ball is off the green there is no line of play relief from immovable obstructions or abnormal ground conditions).

My view would be that under either Rule 24 or 25 you should be entitled to relief (as indicated by Cheezburga). However as with paths it is possible there is a local rule declaring the hole covers to be an integral part of the course so best to check in my view.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Looks like its been answered well.

I'm just curious as to why the hole isn't filled with the 'core' of the newly cut hole? As happens elsewhere.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like its been answered well.

I'm just curious as to why the hole isn't filled with the 'core' of the newly cut hole? As happens elsewhere.
I wonder that also DV, it is on some holes but there are a few of these , i came a cropper a cpl of times , I just played it as it was as i wasnt sure of ruling ,

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought the rule of the old hole was golf's version of sod's law.

How many times do you play to a green to find your ball is 60' away from the flag you were aiming at but gimmee distance from the hole that was plugged yesterday!!!!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sometimes on our greens they leave an old hole unplugged for some reason. I hit a hole in one into one of them recently (Well, not a real hole in one)

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
we have the same at ours, they have 3 hole's cut at a time and rotate them mid week for a few weeks before re cutting, usually have one near the front for days when the weather is really bad too with a view to trying to stop all of the green being walked on.

it happens that often that its a known rule at ours that you get relief if these are in your line of put as an immovable obstruction as above.