Old Course Caddies

ukg3pxc

Hacker
Visit site
Morning folkI've booked a weekend at St Andrews and part of that will be playing the Old Course.I got the winter deal so its a good price but I only just managed to swing it with the better half.What are everyone's thoughts on a Caddy for the course? I don't know if I'm good enough to make the best use of one but I can imagine they help greatly and add to the experienceBut with a tip its quite an addition to the total cost of the weekendDo you consider them an essential part of the experience or would I be better off saving the money for elsewhere?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning folkI've booked a weekend at St Andrews and part of that will be playing the Old Course.I got the winter deal so its a good price but I only just managed to swing it with the better half.What are everyone's thoughts on a Caddy for the course? I don't know if I'm good enough to make the best use of one but I can imagine they help greatly and add to the experienceBut with a tip its quite an addition to the total cost of the weekendDo you consider them an essential part of the experience or would I be better off saving the money for elsewhere?

Ive played TOC with and without one, better with one IMO. give you the lines off the tee is a great help not to mention carry your bag;) no electric trolleys before 1pm

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Obviously it's better with one than without and yes there are quite a few blind shots and they carry your poles but at £50 A time plus tip I'd think long and hard about it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played there at Easter last year and went with caddies to enhance the one off experience. They were worth every penny, genuinely good guys, assess your ability very quickly and then provide info as you need it. Great with the lines off tees, and lines on the greens, giving other anecdotal info on the course as we played, and genuinely funny with it. My missus was very nervous, her caddy was fantastic, my guy was an ex-tour pro, very easy going and funny chap, and my lad's caddie had just moved over from Trump's place.

Yes it's a few quid extra, but for a once in a lifetime experience, just made it all the more so.

ukg3pxc

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It will be a once in a lifetime experience so I think i'll go for it and try to save some pennies elsewhere!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
TOC is a fantastic experience despite what I've said on here repeatedly, in fact I'm playing there on 23rd March and quite looking forward to it, it's a real shame it's costing me £15 for the pleasure though :whistle:

D

Deleted Member 1156

TOC is a fantastic experience despite what I've said on here repeatedly, in fact I'm playing there on 23rd March and quite looking forward to it, it's a real shame it's costing me £15 for the pleasure though :whistle:

What a bummer, there are ways to play it for free ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played there at Easter last year and went with caddies to enhance the one off experience. They were worth every penny, genuinely good guys, assess your ability very quickly and then provide info as you need it. Great with the lines off tees, and lines on the greens, giving other anecdotal info on the course as we played, and genuinely funny with it. My missus was very nervous, her caddy was fantastic, my guy was an ex-tour pro, very easy going and funny chap, and my lad's caddie had just moved over from Trump's place.

Yes it's a few quid extra, but for a once in a lifetime experience, just made it all the more so.

Exactly our experience and the banter and funny tales just added to the whole magical experience.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hit it left and take one more club thats all the advice you need around there:thup:, all kidding aside i played with gcd from here and he caddied around there was greta knowing the lines so worth it , one of my mates is a caddy there after moving from Kingsbarns which was good all the times i played there with him the knowledge is second to none

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously it's better with one than without and yes there are quite a few blind shots and they carry your poles but at £50 A time plus tip I'd think long and hard about it.

I played TOC just the once, I felt a caddy was a great help even tho' I am a hacker + it made the round feel really special. I don't play top 50 courses every day so when I do I have a caddy to enrich the round.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played last year for the first time, decided against the caddies and have no regrets.

Watch the videos of their pro playing the course on the website and you have the lines off the tees and what to watch out for.

The course planner is good and it's free.

The biggest surprise was how friendly were the course rangers - present on quite a few tees - giving lines and general advice. The starter was also great, taking everyone's pictures etc.

Most important advice - keep you eyes open for others' balls - it's a hacker paradise there with all the double fairways :)

The drink in Dunvegan is a must after the round. :)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Most important advice - keep you eyes open for others' balls - it's a hacker paradise there with all the double fairways :)

Possibly the best line in this whole topic. I've never seen so many diggers on one course in my life and they say you're meant to have an official handicap to play it :rofl: