Old course advice

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got offered a slot on Monday to play with 2 others (my uncle and family friend) and can't wait- woop woop!!!!

But anyway other than enjoy it is there any advice? How much is a caddy? Should I get one? Weather looks calm so not expecting it to be too tough a test but it's a bucket list course isn't it so can't wait. Anything else I should know?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got offered a slot on Monday to play with 2 others (my uncle and family friend) and can't wait- woop woop!!!!

But anyway other than enjoy it is there any advice? How much is a caddy? Should I get one? Weather looks calm so not expecting it to be too tough a test but it's a bucket list course isn't it so can't wait. Anything else I should know?

It's on mats at this time of year and also no trolleys allowed.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been watching some of the St Andrews open Films in anticipation of playing in April.

Watching some of the nuances of the course has got me thinking the same thing!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ooh just thought where best to park? Just Googled and get free parking 10 mins walk away but metered parking is 2 hour max stay.... I ain't that quick? My pps are staying up there I'm meeting in morning

D

Deleted member 16999

Plenty of free parking at course by Jubilee and new course, 5 min walk to 1st Tee, enjoy every minute and try and relax.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Ooh just thought where best to park? Just Googled and get free parking 10 mins walk away but metered parking is 2 hour max stay.... I ain't that quick? My pps are staying up there I'm meeting in morning
Just park at the big clubhouse by the first tee of the New and Jubilee courses. They will take you up in a buggy to the first tee, which is not far away. You can get good food and drink in the clubhouse, and there is a nice expensive pro shop as well.:)

paulw4701

Club Champion
Visit site
If its your first time i recommend you get a caddie i played it in november and the caddies made it they are £50 plus tip need to be booked in advance this time of year also you have to play of a mat on the fairway which is fine if you dont take a divot if you do agree to play just of the fairway with you playing partners

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't speak for St. Andrews in particular but I played in Florida this year on a new course and hired a caddie. I reckon he saved me around 10 shots and made my day so much more enjoyable. Treat yourself, you won't look back in 6 months and say to yourself how glad you are you saved £80. Make the most of the day out

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want a caddie get one, or share one. If you don't want one you will get a little goodie bag that will include a course planner. Read it before each hole, so you know where the bunkers are. Keep out of them at all cost.;) If in doubt aim down the left. Bunkers that are most likely to catch you out are on the 12th. In the middle of the fairway, but you can not see them off the tee. Whilst the greens are huge with big slopes on the sides, the flags are usually in fairly flat areas, and from inside four feet firm and straight usually gets the job done.:thup:

If you are a three ball you may get a single joining you. We did last time we played in October. The starter asked us if we minded letting an Argentinian who had been waiting since 4.00 am join us. We were teeing off at 12.30 so how could we say no.;)

Best golfing experience out there in my opinion.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think a caddy is necessary. Just use the course planner correctly and plot you way around, just like any other course you've played without a caddy!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
probably the 3 most nerve wracking shots to date. Tee shot on 1st, tee shot on 17 then 2nd to 18.

Enjoy it, the most surreal experience I've had on a golf course.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My only bit of advice is enjoy every single minute on the course. Try not to be be nervous on 1st tee and DO NOT go in the bunker on 17 lol ( took me 4 shots to get out ) lol

as people said the 12 is a tough hole and used the yardage card as much as you can.

have fun and post a write up on how you got on :)

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My advice would be to enjoy the experience and soak up the sense of history, I personally enjoyed it so much playing those holes I have seen on TV for many years at the home of golf, the bridge on 18, coffin bunkers etc - we got in on 3rd ballot entry so was almost booking Carnoustie (always seems to have tee times available) as time was running out.

We had caddies and their knowledge of the history also added to the experience.

Is not a difficult course (or I had a good day) and can never forget my 20ft putt I holed for par on 17 with more people watching (well looking at the course from the footpath) than I have ever seen before - not sure they appreciated my sense of achievement with the fist pump and celebration !

Playing 18, 1 up on my son, I hit it onto the road - no relief and he was not being nice to allow a free drop, hit the green and easy 2 putt for victory.....

Enjoyed it so much I am planning to go back 2017/2018.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
My only bit of advice is enjoy every single minute on the course. Try not to be be nervous on 1st tee and DO NOT go in the bunker on 17 lol ( took me 4 shots to get out ) lol

as people said the 12 is a tough hole and used the yardage card as much as you can.

have fun and post a write up on how you got on :)

The pot bunker by the 17th green is generally GUR.