OK Plumbing experts, this one is for you!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Showers..

We have this mixer set up; (the triple one) https://images.victorianplumbing.co.uk/images/PDF/MSHRPCK-ind-v2.pdf With a stuart turner shower pump.

Heating in the house is a standard boiler, hot water tank, cold water is gravity few from loft.

It seems like I am somehow getting air into the system I assume? The electric pump doesn't kick in. Often I have to take off the head of the handheld mixer and suck to get some water moving!!

Any ideas? I cleaned the filters in the mixer body yesterday, I don't think there are any serviceable parts on the pump... I have switched the pump off and run the water through as per online ideas to try and 'bleed' the pump, doesn't fix it..

Its dong my nut in!! Suggestions please!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

RichA

Visit site
Don't know what area you're in or how old the unit is, but have you considered that your water hardness might have bunged up the smaller pipes and mechanism. It's an appliance killer around us if you don't have a water softener.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know what area you're in or how old the unit is, but have you considered that your water hardness might have bunged up the smaller pipes and mechanism. It's an appliance killer around us if you don't have a water softener.

We have a softener, been in for years. I cleaned the filters in the mixer and they were clean of limescale, they did have some crud in them. I am thinking of taking the pipework off and having a look, cant recall if there are filters or not. Also the install (not done by me originally) does not have inline strainers which stuart turner recommends.. so the pump could have some crud in it I expect its blocking the pressure switch (or that has now failed.)

RichA

Visit site
Is the pump even kicking in? They don't last forever.
I'm no expert, by the way. Have just had to try and sort similar issues at mother-in-law's place. In that case, the pump had died from a mixture of old age and limescale.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the pump even kicking in? They don't last forever.
I'm no expert, by the way. Have just had to try and sort similar issues at mother-in-law's place. In that case, the pump had died from a mixture of old age and limescale.

it will kick in if I can force it. so, if I switch off the power to the pump, open the shower and have it flow with gravity only, then switch the pump back on it, it kicks in. so it does 'work' but you have to force it to start...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
it will kick in if I can force it. so, if I switch off the power to the pump, open the shower and have it flow with gravity only, then switch the pump back on it, it kicks in. so it does 'work' but you have to force it to start...

Maybe the flow switch is faulty, if it’s not sensitive enough it may not fire the pump up? Maybe it has scale stopping it working correctly?

RichA

Visit site
Did it ever work properly? Even if the pump is good, the water pressure of a gravity fed system might not be sufficient to operate it as you might hope.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did it ever work properly? Even if the pump is good, the water pressure of a gravity fed system might not be sufficient to operate it as you might hope.

Yes, has been working fine for 3 years+, progressively got a bit funny about firing up, and now its a ball ache...

Flow switch is my thoughts too @Fade and Die its whether I can get to it, service it etc...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes, has been working fine for 3 years+, progressively got a bit funny about firing up, and now its a ball ache...

Flow switch is my thoughts too @Fade and Die its whether I can get to it, service it etc...

They do do a flow switch kit and a reef switch kit for it and there is a pdf installation guide so it would seem it’s possible...

https://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/contentfiles/Reed-Switch-Replacement-Kit-19071-IG.pdf

https://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/product/monsoon-standard-flow-switch-body-kit-31777

Have a look at the Reed switch kit wiring diagram, you should be able to see what terminals it is connected to. Short them out with a link and see if the pump fires up. (Be careful though I don’t know if the Reed switch is mains or extra low voltage, I also don’t know if your a diy guru or Frank Spencer ?)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a similar problem with a Stuart-Turner pump. It simply needed a new capacitor. S-T told me it was not uncommon.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
They do do a flow switch kit and a reef switch kit for it and there is a pdf installation guide so it would seem it’s possible...

https://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/contentfiles/Reed-Switch-Replacement-Kit-19071-IG.pdf

https://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/product/monsoon-standard-flow-switch-body-kit-31777

Have a look at the Reed switch kit wiring diagram, you should be able to see what terminals it is connected to. Short them out with a link and see if the pump fires up. (Be careful though I don’t know if the Reed switch is mains or extra low voltage, I also don’t know if your a diy guru or Frank Spencer ?)

Thanks for that! Don't worry, I won't kill myself, have some brains, honest!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
whipped the top off and one of the wires for the flow switch was loose! Sorted this, but its still not 100%. Will look to properly test these reed switches over the weekend, time to steal my kids magnets!!