Offset Question/frustration.

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I have recently changed from Mizuno MP 53 to JPX Pro as Ineeded a little more help on off centre hits and a little more distance. Theoffset on the JPX 800 Pro is driving me nuts! Why is it there? I think peoplethink that it`s to close the club head but my understanding is that it move theCG back from the shaft to help launch… whatever it is it drives me nuts to haveto keep cranking open the club head to start the ball right. I am thinkingabout moving my grips so I don’t end up re-gripping every time I pick a clubup. It would be nice if there were a club that gave help but did not haveoffset, I don’t need help with launch or draw. Anyhow rant over… Question:

Is it ok to crank the club head open so that is square at address?

Alex

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you still have the 53's?

A good, straight answer there <WINK>

I had a similar problem with my R7's Al'.

When I moved over to my MP32's and had been playing them for a while I picked up my old R7 6 iron and couldn't understand how I didn't notice the amount of offset before.

To answer your question. If you want the club to sit square at address I can't see why you couldn't?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
thats not right, you shouldnt have to 'open' the face to get square even on offset. Offset just helps your hands stay ahead of the ball at impact its nothing to do with it closing the face imo. Its maybe an optical illusion or perception as you look at them? I certainly I dont like offset but I can hit them and have them sit square at address without changing my grip.

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you experimented with hitting shots with the face square at address? By the sounds of it you know how to shape a shot, have you made the right decision taking a step backwards? These clubs don't sound right for you!

A

Alex1975

Have you experimented with hitting shots with the face square at address? By the sounds of it you know how to shape a shot, have you made the right decision taking a step backwards? These clubs don't sound right for you!

Ye they are right for me for the most part, there are good things about them and were good things about the 53s but when I stand over the ball I feel less like I have to blast it with the 800 pro.

Darth, you go an grab a Ping G20 and tell me it sits square at address before you grip it... maybe its an illusion but it just feels shut to me.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why on earth would a pro recommend that a mid/high handicapper who has gone from MP53s to a club with more forgiveness that he felt he needs (and prob does), to go and buy a set of blades that have even less forgiveness?

I did :mad:. I went from TM R7 GI's to MP32 Blades

...... And my handicap is lower than it's ever been!!!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Darth, you go an grab a Ping G20 and tell me it sits square at address before you grip it... maybe its an illusion but it just feels shut to me.

I know what you are saying, but I think your looking at it with the shaft pointing at your naval? move the shaft to pointing at your left hip-without fanning the face open- offset is trying to help you reach that compressed impact position easier than a blade.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know what you are saying, but I think your looking at it with the shaft pointing at your naval? move the shaft to pointing at your left hip-without fanning the face open- offset is trying to help you reach that compressed impact position easier than a blade.

I thought offset was there to help square the blade at impact nothing really to do with compression etc.

A

Alex1975

I did :mad:. I went from TM R7 GI's to MP32 Blades

...... And my handicap is lower than it's ever been!!!

Ye, it went the other way for me, I went to the 53s when I felt I was winning and had them a while till I was very used to them but found a lot of performance with the 800s. I wont go back without good reason. The offset and topline are a frustration but I need to get over it.

A

Alex1975

I thought offset was there to help square the blade at impact nothing really to do with compression etc.

As I say, I think.. and its not been confirmed that its to move the center of gravity back for launch but what Darth says makes scense too and is a similar ethos.

should never joke with the mizuno fanboys and blades lol

I still have an MP 58 with PX 6.5 Flighted in it to try and convert you!!! (whispers Mizuno)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also think it's a visual illusion and you should just get on and let the clubs do their job. I understand what you are seeing, and sympathise as I have clubs such as the cally steelheads (X12?) with huge offset TM RAC LTII's and R9tp's with v little offset and they look to align differently.

Easy way to confirm it all back to your consciousness is to stick a little magnet/stick thingy on the face to show exactly where it's facing at address (best removed before hitting ball)