Official WHS Survey

C7usk

Visit site
This is also my observation, and is tye flaw in WHS application in a culture of regular competitions of 100+ golfers across the full range of handicaps.

The old method did tend to fix ones handicap on the low side, reducing the probability of good score. WHS enables the index to rise quickly and significantly.

It is indisputable that a handicap can now rise quickly by 3 shots, where previously it was limited to one. And not quite as quickly it can rise by 5 compared to still 1 previously.
For the 20 handicapper, with the variability of scores we know we can have, our handicaps can rise by two or 3 shots in as little as a week or two. Not every time we have a few bad rounds. But there are so many of us, a significant proportion of a given competituon are probably somewhere on the upper range of that cycle. But our form hasnt changed ! For enough, it is not reflecting a deterioration of our golf. We are tye same golfer. And have gained a couple of shots, score well, add in the extra mistaken increase WHS gave us wheather we like it or not, and our 'fair' 41 points is now 44. And we are handicap building bandits.

And yes, the low men cannot compete with the one of my cohort will do that on a given day. The single figure man is both steadier, so less volatile to accumulate those unneeded shots. And more protective of his hc status, so (not all, sure!) less likely to play if not on form, the conditions are bad, or the course is tough or unknown.

This all stems from WHS not being atune to the strong intra club competition culture that is traditional here and still widespread. Reducing the 0.95 to nibble a shot or two from the 15-25 range could repair the damage. Another solution, deviating of course from the goal of a single global WHS, but then that has clearly already failed, would be to bring the soft cap back to 1, and the hard cap to 2 for example.

Our country authorities need to adapt WHS to fit with rollups and Stableford competitions that is our golfing heritage, not the more casual one off matches that is the more American norm, before our competition culture is lost irretrievably.
Defo need to reduce the rapid hcp increases... Would sort a lot of the issues..

C7usk

Visit site
Our first couple of comps with our winter card / 80% hcp allowance have been published...
Forgive the cruel finger editing on my phone... 😉
Significant change to the hcp range in the top 10..mostly low cappers..
Total class tho a person who's normally of 17 ( gets only 12 with the winter course card) shoots 4 over scratch to storm to victory... 🤣..
It's hard to keep the mid hcps down.. We will find a way.. Lol...
Won't even get a cut as it's not measured course... Only difference is about 4 or 5 tees are forward the now..
Still though, reducing the 95% to less does make a big difference to the hcp positions on the leaderboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241015_214733_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241015_214733_Chrome.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 4

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Our first couple of comps with our winter card / 80% hcp allowance have been published...
Forgive the cruel finger editing on my phone... 😉
Significant change to the hcp range in the top 10..mostly low cappers..
Total class tho a person who's normally of 17 ( gets only 12 with the winter course card) shoots 4 over scratch to storm to victory... 🤣..
It's hard to keep the mid hcps down.. We will find a way.. Lol...
Won't even get a cut as it's not measured course... Only difference is about 4 or 5 tees are forward the now..
Still though, reducing the 95% to less does make a big difference to the hcp positions on the leaderboard.
Total irrelevance to WHS.

Care to post your entire seasons results?

IanMac

Visit site
Sorry, I am confused. Do you want me to post this on some other thread or something?
Why do you want to see MY entire seasons results? I've nothing to hide, I'm just not sure why?
I get your point and it's another instance showing how a high handicapper has a handicap that is way too high. Even with 80% he has won by a country mile.

C7usk

Visit site
I get your point and it's another instance showing how a high handicapper has a handicap that is way too high. Even with 80% he has won by a country mile.
Cheers Ian.. 👍.. Thought it was reasonably easy to take some conclusions from the pic.. And I on the main like WHS....but also realise it's flawed in some aspects..
For reference the player has went up 5 shots since start of year..
Still nothing to do with WHS.... Apparently.... 😂