Official WHS Survey

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Several comments above about the huge variety of numbers of cards people put in and the difference in behaviours regarding Gen Play cards.
Absolutely no way of smoothing that curve, and hence no way of getting consistency of outcome. (note, outcome)

Of course, if folk stopped thinking their whs handicap was telling them the same thing as its predecessor, there would be fewer complaints.

BUT, given the two above, and all of the other noise flying around, I see no prospect of steady state anytime soon! :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wonder if they will publish the results of the survey
I hope so just to clear up the feeling and polarising opinions on here.

But nobody’s going to change their view imo
As WHS obviously affects people in different ways.
And nobody trusts stats anymore. Well other peoples anyway.😳

My honest opinion is with all this noise there is obviously something wrong somewhere.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
I hope so just to clear up the feeling and polarising opinions on here.

But nobody’s going to change their view imo
As WHS obviously affects people in different ways.
And nobody trusts stats anymore. Well other peoples anyway.😳

My honest opinion is with all this noise there is obviously something wrong somewhere.
Some people just don’t like change!!

What will you do if the results don’t reflect your opinion? Claim they have been falsified?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some people just don’t like change!!

What will you do if the results don’t reflect your opinion? Claim they have been falsified?
What will you do if they don’t reflect yours? Claim they have been doctored.

They can’t please everyone, I think this is what they have tried to do and failed.

I don’t mind change for the better but not just for the sake of it!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

They can’t please everyone, I think this is what they have tried to do and failed.

Very small (but vocal!) sample size on this thread! :unsure:

Golfloveruk

Visit site

I don’t care if they reflect mine. I don’t mind WHS. I didn’t mind the old system either.

But I’m not the one screaming from the rooftops that WHS is bad and we should go back to how things were.

WHS probably isn’t perfect. But neither are any golfers. So it takes the middle ground.

There are issues surrounding inputting of scores. There are easily overcome.
They are not directly related to the WHS.

There are issues of people comparing handicaps from two different systems. Clearly not as easy to overcome.

I’m still waiting for answers to my question on the other discussion. Maybe you’d like to answer them.

How does any system accuracy reflect potential?

How do you define potential?

How would you account for the almost infinite possible ways a person can put together a handicap?

How long should counting scores last?

How many scores should count?

How do you account for the difference in how seriously people take their golf? For example your buddy @clubchamp98 takes it very seriously, he’s invested in coaching and equipment to maximise his potential. I presume he takes an active interest in S&C, mobility and nutrition. Probably gets to the club early when competing for the weekly stableford to go through his stretching routine and a proper warm up.

Whereas. I could be someone who rocks up on the first tee with a minute to spare, with a warm up that consists of a practice swing and a coffee. But still shoots lower scores with a set of second hand clubs cobbled together off eBay. I could also be that person but I shoot higher scores.

How would you account for the improving player?

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
The majority of golfers are middle handicappers and I can see why they like it .
Their good and bad scores are miles apart and has resulted in higher handicaps.

Low cappers have a much tighter range and most have actually lost a shot or stayed the same
It can’t suit both sets of players.

I think the big mistrust issue is the manipulation of the system with GP cards that really needs sorting at both ends of the scale.
Can you clarify the actual handicaps you are on about?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t you think it’s replicated in clubs ?
I hear the same things in the clubhouse every week.
Opinions are just the same.

Some hate it
Some love it
Some just don’t care but they didn’t before WHS.
I have no idea if the opinions are replicated in clubs - there are very few posters on this thread and only their opinions of the magnitude of their "support". That's what a poll/surveys are for, but even then, it's only those with interest or strong opinions that will respond. And "strong" doesn't imply correct or unanimous.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I don’t care if they reflect mine. I don’t mind WHS. I didn’t mind the old system either.

But I’m not the one screaming from the rooftops that WHS is bad and we should go back to how things were.

WHS probably isn’t perfect. But neither are any golfers. So it takes the middle ground.

There are issues surrounding inputting of scores. There are easily overcome.
They are not directly related to the WHS.

There are issues of people comparing handicaps from two different systems. Clearly not as easy to overcome.

I’m still waiting for answers to my question on the other discussion. Maybe you’d like to answer them.

How does any system accuracy reflect potential?

How do you define potential?

How would you account for the almost infinite possible ways a person can put together a handicap?

How long should counting scores last?

How many scores should count?

How do you account for the difference in how seriously people take their golf? For example your buddy @clubchamp98 takes it very seriously, he’s invested in coaching and equipment to maximise his potential. I presume he takes an active interest in S&C, mobility and nutrition. Probably gets to the club early when competing for the weekly stableford to go through his stretching routine and a proper warm up.

Whereas. I could be someone who rocks up on the first tee with a minute to spare, with a warm up that consists of a practice swing and a coffee. But still shoots lower scores with a set of second hand clubs cobbled together off eBay. I could also be that person but I shoot higher scores.

How would you account for the improving player?
Is there a shortened version 🤷‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most of us have lost the will to live......😬

Lol 😂 so true

Much like club members they aren't overly interested in the ins and outs of the system

When it came in it was during lockdown and I was (still am) into rick shiels podcast so had got all the information on there so I was very much interested and informed about the system. However trying to explain to people who just want to play golf a new system they didn't ask for ? Good luck