Official WHS Survey

D-S

Visit site
Weren’t Golf Ireland going to be supposedly trialling matchplay being acceptable for handicaps in the early days of WHS? I believe, despite what this is what we were told, that no such trial was ever done and reference to it was quietly removed.

Maybe just using Low Handicap Index and a possible additional reduction is another trial and might be proposed to the rest of CONGU?

IanMac

Visit site
Weren’t Golf Ireland going to be supposedly trialling matchplay being acceptable for handicaps in the early days of WHS? I believe, despite what this is what we were told, that no such trial was ever done and reference to it was quietly removed.

Maybe just using Low Handicap Index and a possible additional reduction is another trial and might be proposed to the rest of CONGU?
I never heard about that trial.

The low index from previous year is of limited use. Plenty still abusing that. The idea that everyone is putting in meaningful cards.on.a regular basis is pie in the sky.

Handicaps should never be allowed to jump up unless there's a physiological change to the person due to an accident or old age.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, it means it was outdated and made obsolete by advances in technology, data analysis, etc.
It was a relic from a pre-internet world when everything had to be done locally; a simple system designed to be administered manually without the aid of technology (except perhaps a calculator).
And so as is so frequent with the laws of unintended consequence we got to the delightful modern system which facilitates choosing what scores to enter to pick a handicap that suits you.
But it's wonderful modern international and pays various associates to provide software which no one is to understand to facilitate it all.
Meanwhile the club golfer is the mushroom kept in the dark and fed unmentionables.

IanMac

Visit site
No, it means it was outdated and made obsolete by advances in technology, data analysis, etc.
It was a relic from a pre-internet world when everything had to be done locally; a simple system designed to be administered manually without the aid of technology (except perhaps a calculator).
You constantly defend what many see as the indefensible. I'm wondering if you have a vested interest in WHS and the technology frenzy around it. Do you?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They were but it was dropped.