Official WHS Survey

RichA

Visit site
Another 10 pages on WHS tells me all is not well with the system.
Having read the 10 pages and thrown in my two penn'orth a few times, it tells me that 1% of our community don't like the system, 1% do like it and 98% aren't sufficiently motivated to express an opinion either way. My non-forum real life experience with actual live golfers is similar.
My take on that would be that it can't actually be that bad. 🤷‍♂️

C7usk

Visit site
Your reasons for this?
I like being able to put in a card outwith competitions.. Most of our comps are Sundays which doesn't suit our normal weekend plans.. During the lighter nights usually play early sat morning and try to get a midweek game in after work.. So allows me to get 2 counting rounds in a week. The Sat morning is a sweep so would technically count towards hcp anyway and doesn't go through the App..
I like that everytime we play I feel like I am trying to better my hcp and have something to play for as opposed to just having a casual hit about.. The added challenge of knowing you have good scores coming off etc adds to the competitive edge.
Also i like that my hcp varies if I am playing a different course.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I like being able to put in a card outwith competitions.. Most of our comps are Sundays which doesn't suit our normal weekend plans.. During the lighter nights usually play early sat morning and try to get a midweek game in after work.. So allows me to get 2 counting rounds in a week. The Sat morning is a sweep so would technically count towards hcp anyway and doesn't go through the App..
I like that everytime we play I feel like I am trying to better my hcp and have something to play for as opposed to just having a casual hit about.. The added challenge of knowing you have good scores coming off etc adds to the competitive edge.
Also i like that my hcp varies if I am playing a different course.
First highlight, nothing new there, just an app now allows you to do it, that's not down to WHS

Second bit is one of the worst for me, before you were aiming for SSS not par, and your handicap was static, now it's always par but you've this bizarre change in handicap, I've played off between 1 & 8 this year, that is a joke in my eyes, but each to their own

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
With just 3 rounds in a year, that was it you were 'active' so it was a case 'suck it up' even though it was clear all sorts was going on. Hands were tied!!
Now you can draw down the info & exercise a measure of control.... I guess you haven't been in a position to see this ionm action?

I can only think that your Club is not making use of T's & C's whereas many are, as well as Counties, Unions & Associations. Makes good sense.... & if you can't see it then.... Hey-ho away you go!!
It appears that these self-made "T&C" are not what the doctor ordered.

Taken from the link Slab just posted above "Such practices reportedly left the R&A and USGA displeased and saw England Golf demand clubs stop the curbs. "

C7usk

Visit site
First highlight, nothing new there, just an app now allows you to do it, that's not down to WHS

Second bit is one of the worst for me, before you were aiming for SSS not par, and your handicap was static, now it's always par but you've this bizarre change in handicap, I've played off between 1 & 8 this year, that is a joke in my eyes, but each to their own
Although you were able to put cards in.. It just didn't happen.. At least no one I knew done it... Now we all put a card in when playing..
That is some swing.. Between 1 & 8..
A bit extreme for sure..

wjemather

Visit site

The vast majority of golfers never understood this and treated nett par (36 points) as their play-to-handicap target at all courses.

Many, many years ago (about 50 or so), your handicap was not static and you would receive extra shots at supposedly more difficult courses.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
It appears that these self-made "T&C" are not what the doctor ordered.

Taken from the link Slab just posted above "Such practices reportedly left the R&A and USGA displeased and saw England Golf demand clubs stop the curbs. "
It should be no surprise that the authorities are not keen on restrictions that undermine inclusivity and are the result of misunderstanding and ignorance.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read the 10 pages and thrown in my two penn'orth a few times, it tells me that 1% of our community don't like the system, 1% do like it and 98% aren't sufficiently motivated to express an opinion either way. My non-forum real life experience with actual live golfers is similar.
My take on that would be that it can't actually be that bad. 🤷‍♂️
I think you’re right with the 1% analogy.
But the other 98% just couldn’t care less.
They play social golf and do have a moan when they lose their £5.

But it was like that before WHS,
Was it worth the cost to implement this for 1% of golfers .?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you’re right with the 1% analogy.
But the other 98% just couldn’t care less.
They play social golf and do have a moan when they lose their £5.

But it was like that before WHS,
Was it worth the cost to implement this for 1% of golfers .?
At least the effort has been made to improve the transportability. Many players go to other countries to play and it is now easier to get an even group to play socially with others (foreigners or natives).

D-S

Visit site
At least the effort has been made to improve the transportability. Many players go to other countries to play and it is now easier to get an even group to play socially with others (foreigners or natives).
I play quite a lot of golf abroad and so do a lot of friends. We almost always play with other our friends or family so the need for a comparable handicap with locals is not there and the only thing that has WHS has added to the experience is the calculation of a representative Course Handicap.

Unfortunately many clubs and societies in Spain still do not accept UK WHS handicaps (this was such an issue that The Spanish Golf Federation had to send a letter to all clubs about it but it has not been taken up by everyone).

Personally though I play quite a bit of golf there, having seen what goes on first hand, I wouldn’t take on a US player I didn’t know for money based on their HI.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play quite a lot of golf abroad and so do a lot of friends. We almost always play with other our friends or family so the need for a comparable handicap with locals is not there and the only thing that has WHS has added to the experience is the calculation of a representative Course Handicap.

Unfortunately many clubs and societies in Spain still do not accept UK WHS handicaps (this was such an issue that The Spanish Golf Federation had to send a letter to all clubs about it but it has not been taken up by everyone).

Personally though I play quite a bit of golf there, having seen what goes on first hand, I wouldn’t take on a US player I didn’t know for money based on their HI.
I've played a fair bit in the US and the overriding impression I have is that their handicaps generally appear to be low for their ability.

D-S

Visit site
I've played a fair bit in the US and the overriding impression I have is that their handicaps generally appear to be low for their ability.
My view is that some almost seem to write down whatever they think at the end of a hole, rarely holing out, using Most Likely Score. As a lot don’t seem to play in comps (I’ve met a lot of long standing club members who have only played in a couple of comps, with the exception of their member guest day, in their whole lives), the achieved handicaps seem a bit low as you say, but equally they could make it basically anything they want, hence my distrust.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Me neither.!

Everyone I’ve played with says “I’m about a 12 handicap”
Then smashes it 300yds down the middle, and they putt like god.