Odd matchplay situation

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
This happened today in a team match I was playing in, one of our team came in and said "on one hole we were both close to the hole in the same number of shots and agreed a half, standing on the next tee I remembered that she had reminded me that I had a shot on the hole" so she wanted to know as by agreeing a half they had in essence conceded each others putts, could she have claimed the hole.

My take was that had they had agreed a half and not actually putt out then the half would stand.

Was my take on it correct?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its all in the language and from the words used it appears clear. The hole was halved, not conceded.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the opponent knew what she was doing as she knew she had a shot on that hole, so was pulling a quick one on her. But conceding each others putts is not the same as agreeing a half. So if they agreed a half then it stands as that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that Rule 2.5 and the following paragraph would come in to operation

A claim is considered to have been made in a timely manner if, upon discovery of circumstances giving rise to a claim, the player makes his claim (i) before any player in the match plays from the next teeing ground, or

As I best understand it the Rules of Golf do not allow for the agreement of a half in this situation only a concession of a putt.

If you repost the question in the Rules and Handicaps section you will find that Qualified referees may give you the correct answer

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you agreed a half then that's what it is... a half.

different story if you said that's good and she said the same, with ref to the putts.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Decision 2-1/1.5 allows a player and their opponent to agree a half once play of the hole has commenced. The number of strokes taken at the point an agreement is made would be irrelevant, so you would be correct.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Decision 6-2a/4 may help

6-2a/4 Handicap Stroke Claimed After Hole Conceded

Q.In a handicap match, A holed out in 3. B, having a putt for a gross 4 and forgetting that he was entitled to a handicap stroke at the hole, conceded the hole to A. Before A or B played from the next teeing ground, B remembered that he had a handicap stroke at the last hole. What is the ruling?

A.A won the hole when B conceded it (Rule 2-4). It was B's responsibility to know the holes at which he received handicap strokes - see Note under Rule 6-2. Since B forgot about his handicap stroke, he must suffer the consequences.