Octopus energy

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are with Octopus... and doing some extensions. So keen to look at Heat Pumps. Got a quote for about 4.5k.

However, i would be more inclined to have a hybrid heat pump - gas combi heating situation. That way heat pump can heat till 40-50 degrees while gas takes it to 70 degrees. Not many doing it at the moment. Have written to Octopus to find out if they can.

Talking of NIMBYs... my local area voted down proposal to install mobile cell tower on an crossroads - since it hampers the view. But never shy of letting off a bit of steam about poor mobile reception in the area.

Watch heat geek, they show that heat pumps can suit majority of systems if set up correctly . They even did a video with the skilled builder who normally is dead against heat pumps.

As long as you could have a water tank for the hot water the heat pump would be a good solution. Unfortunately I haven't got space for a tank so for now it's on the back burner

Just make sure you find someone who knows their stuff not like the poor guy on this video who got a cowboy

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not entirely relevant to this thread but this article is interesting about newer generations of heat pumps, certainly this was new to me.
I saw that item and while it's obviously good news for the future, my immediate thought was about the early adopters who went to the expense of replacing their pipework and radiators. They must be feeling well hacked off.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw that item and while it's obviously good news for the future, my immediate thought was about the early adopters who went to the expense of replacing their pipework and radiators. They must be feeling well hacked off.

Heat geek pointed out in the video posted you need to have the right heat pump for you, unfortunately too many cowboys (like the solar industry)

Because some you won't need to upgrade pipes. And the underfloor heating myth has been proven wrong .. same with solid walls they will work which was music to my ears

Brilliant video tbh

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Watch heat geek, they show that heat pumps can suit majority of systems if set up correctly . They even did a video with the skilled builder who normally is dead against heat pumps.

As long as you could have a water tank for the hot water the heat pump would be a good solution. Unfortunately I haven't got space for a tank so for now it's on the back burner

Just make sure you find someone who knows their stuff not like the poor guy on this video who got a cowboy
Saw that video and when it was switched on it was horrendous. Turns out any cowboy can ruin a system, even a good one.
Not sure if it was this video, but they mentioned that cowboys are following grants. Double glazing windows, solar, heat pump, insulation. Wherever is grant money you have to be careful who you get in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw that video and when it was switched on it was horrendous. Turns out any cowboy can ruin a system, even a good one.
Not sure if it was this video, but they mentioned that cowboys are following grants. Double glazing windows, solar, heat pump, insulation. Wherever is grant money you have to be careful who you get in.

Yeah it was this video I believe, brilliant video , very balanced and very interesting

Yeah turning it on was awful but the foundation for it .. my god