Novax Djokivic

4LEX

Visit site
Before this whole episode, I had no negative connotations of Djokovic. A clearly wonderful athlete and amazing tennis player - on the verge of becoming the most successful grand slam winner ever. He came across as witty, a good sport and gracious in defeat. It’s a shame that this will tarnish some of that and potentially overshadow some of his achievements, at least in the short term.

I think it’s the arrogance and fragrant fluidity with the truth that he, his team and family have spouted that underpins the strong feelings on this. I guess it started as naivety and then as the story grew they mismanaged the situation spectacularly. Will be interesting to see the long term impact of the backlash on his remaining career.

He actually showed signs towards the end of last year that his game was tailing off. New star players are emerging and getting better and more confident with each trophy won.....but Novak is still the best player at the moment IMO. Australia and Wimbledon his best chances to add to the Slam count. It'll be a big blow to him if he can't play next week.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What has seemed to have gone under the radar. Another player was kicked out as well. A womens doubles player. By all accounts from what I have read. She should not of been kicked out. But because she is not An A list player/ plank. It is a non story.
Renata Voracova. Same issue as Djokovic (misinformed by Tennis Australia that recent infection provided exemption) but chose to simply accept the refusal of entry. Djokovic's rejection involved some bad/unfair practice by Border staff, which is why the rejection was deemed wrong by the Judge.
Voracova's more (only?) a doubles player currently ranked 82, with a high of 29. Singles high of 74 was in 2010; currently around 820+. Her Visa rejection/deportation was certainly reported, but neither high enough profile, nor anythin other than 'standard'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Being deported (visa cancelled) for breaking immigration control rules is one thing; but being deported because the government doesn’t like your views is quite another. I would applaud if he was deported for the former; but it appears that he was deported for the latter. That is not good.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Being deported (visa cancelled) for breaking immigration control rules is one thing; but being deported because the government doesn’t like your views is quite another. I would applaud if he was deported for the former; but it appears that he was deported for the latter. That is not good.
Is that right? Where have you read that?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Any chance you could provide some evidence of that? And nice to see absolutely no criticism of Djokovic's behaviour regarding the clear disparities in his story.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

He made a false declaration on his immigration documents. Try that next time you travel somewhere and see how you get on. My only criticism of the Aussie Govt is they should not have taken so long to cancel his visa.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

He falsified immigration documents. Was it by accident? Bit of a coincidence considering the omission included travelling to two other countries whilst he was supposed to be self-isolating. He also met with the Serbian Prime Minister whilst was supposed to be self-isolating. He also met with a French journalist whilst he was supposed to be self-isolating. He also presented some awards to children whilst he was supposed to be self-isolating. And he carried on practicing tennis with others whilst he was supposed to be self-isolating.

His request for an exemption was based on him saying he had, had Covid. If he knew he’d had Covid, why didn’t he follow the rules for self-isolation?

If he’s attended a works meeting, and had a few drinks in a garden you’d have been all over it like a rash.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't believe the 3 judges took any view whatsoever with his general behaviour, his personal views or his tennis.
He was treated in the same way any of us would be with regards to information provided on forms in order to enter the country.

3 year ban from entering the country for misinformation on those forms. Whether that misinformation was deliberate or accidentally careless make little difference.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Applaud then! Because that's what it was all about.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And you wonder why you get the stick you do when you post dross like that?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...My only criticism of the Aussie Govt is they should not have taken so long to cancel his visa.
I don't believe that criticism is valid. It was pretty swift by any 'speed of government' comparison. There would have had to have been a certain amount of consultation involved wrt to his particular case.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That's not the case, he lied on his visa application, which is why it was revoked. {edit: sorry everyone else already told you that}